"What will my classmates think of me now?" - experience common app

snash13 1 / -  
Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.
I still need a title for this essay.. hmm..suggestions?
Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks!

As I stand behind the dreaded ascending curtains awaiting the critique of hundreds, my mind begins racing down convoluted paths of thought: The likely occurrence of error or imperfection in the next seven minutes will cause me to lose all self esteem, face harsh judgment, and earn the reputation of "failure." This fear that constantly wounds me within had to be abolished. There was no turning back. The shell I am carrying on my back is a burden and I can no longer be the unknown. No more living outside of the spotlight, it is my time to shine.

For a few moments, I can feel the rush spiral down my spine to my anxious, wiggling toes.
"What will my friends think of me after I perform on stage?"
I quickly discard all hesitation as it is my turn to jump on stage. As I hear the first few beats of the rap song, I take a heavy step onto the stage, as if immediately discarding my previous lifestyle. Ignoring the distracting jeers and applause, I meet my experienced dance group stage front, preparing for the exact beat to initiate the aesthetic expression of dance. 3-2-1, and I am off. Like marionettes, we begin dancing together, hitting each beat emphatically with the lights glaring in our glistening faces. The adrenaline overcomes my body like never before. I can not see any faces of the audience but I know all eyes were focusing on the four of us. As I continue to strike each beat of the choreography, I feel each layer of fear and shyness peel off my body. Eventually, the performance is over as I run off stage, clean of all scrutiny.

The moment of fame I had just experienced was the most exhilarating yet rewarding experience of my life. I have always loved the thrill of riding roller coasters and watching action movies but those experiences cannot compare, neither in fear nor outcome, to performing in front of a thousand of your peers. As I exhaustingly sat down and returned compliments from my fellow performers, I had a sudden array of personal questions arise.

"What will my classmates think of me now?"
"Will I still have the reputation of being the shy boy who cannot talk to girls?"
"Even though I just took a huge risk, will I still continue to live in constant fear of judgment?
I realize that the possible answers to those questions do not irritate me anymore. I am able to express my character in a manner that I would never have expected before. To me, I finally broke out of my shell. Regardless of what others think of my performance, I rose up and proved that I was someone of true character. My whole life, it seems, has been lived within the boundaries of my own comfort zone. I overstepped these boundaries when I first advanced on stage. I freed myself from the grip of fear and discomfort and even though it only took 7 minutes, my life was changed from that day.
madilla 2 / 12  
I really enjoyed reading this .. it's really good .. and I really like how you end with what you began and what you did to get out of your comfort zone.

Maybe you should go into a little depth of how you used to be.

I hope this helps! and good luck :)

Home / Undergraduate / "What will my classmates think of me now?" - experience common app