"to have clear & consistent values" - FSU "Vires, Artes, Mores"

kks 1 / -  
It's only a little bit over the word count... but please proofread and give feedback, thanks!

prompt: For almost one hundred years, the Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guilding philosophy behind FSU....Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life.

(no longer than 500 words)

In a world becoming more demanding and hectic, it is more important than ever to have clear & consistent values which keeps me steadfast on the road to success. The Latin words inscribed on the seal of FSU exemplify the core values and standards that have guided me through my life and will continue to guide me as a student at FSU.

Through my family with its dedication and service to both our country and community, and my athletic participation and my standards in educational achievement, I have learned to constantly seek new things and grow with all the opportunities that have been put before me. Before I was 15, I went to seven schools within nine years, lived abroad- dealing with different cultures and customs, and coped with the death of my best friend. I have learned diplomacy, patience, tolerance & flexibility. These "bumps" in the road have taught me belief, courage, responsibility, commitment, and teamwork. "Vires" is a good word to describe me because I am beyond the ordinary power; I am strong, and when I put my mind to it, I am capable to do many great things.

Artes represents the beauty I not only see but also feel in life. The world holds so many wonders that I have been lucky enough to experience and see first hand. Identifying with those who have sacrificed and paved the way before me, I understand what it is to inspire those around me and future generations. I take these very words Vires, Artes, and Mores and turn them into everyday life. Leadership is not defined by position, but by character, choices, and commitment to making a difference. Not only at the YMCA where I work as a camp counselor, but also being the captain of the varsity Volleyball team, I strive to be the best leader & team player that I can be. I truly understand that it is the journey that matters most in life and I feel I am continually developing my "Artes".

If there is one word that would illustrate my family, it is tradition, Mores. Coming from a family of four generations of Naval and Marine service, tradition is sacred in our house. Whether it be playing the annual Thanksgiving football game, opening pajamas on Christmas Eve or playing cards in Paxos with the family. Traditions have cemented our family together, building character and bonds between the ones I love and care about. Not so long ago we began a new tradition in my family, rooting for FSU. Over the four years that my sister attending FSU, I was able to taste the garnet & gold. My sister inspired me to become a Seminole and build upon traditions she began. Respecting and embracing the customs and traditions handed down through the generations that have given me the moral fiber to face the ever challenging world ahead of me.

Vires, Artes, and Mores are three virtures that I know I hold within me. While every single person in this world is different, I know that with my abilities, talents, and traditions, I can benefit my surrounding community. I am a hard worker who finds beauty in everything and can live with strength an confidence. I know that if I put in the effort, the best results will follow.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
If there is one word that would illustrate my family, it is tradition, Mores.

Start here rather than with the rambling introduction you have now.
And if you could then show how Mores leads to or supports Vires and Artes, then your essay would be much better unified than it currently is.

Home / Undergraduate / "to have clear & consistent values" - FSU "Vires, Artes, Mores"