"uh oh cliche! the actions of President Woodrow Wilson" - princeton essay

amjeezy 5 / 18  
okay so i am writing about an influential person to me and i decided...woodrow wilson i know iknow, but i really did pick him because i admire his idealism and those ideals represent what i value. so this is what i wrote please give me your critique and ty!

Question: Tell us about a person who has influenced you in a significant way.

Avoiding all cliché of my selected individual, I truly do admire the actions of President Woodrow Wilson. During his term as president, he had always acted in the utmost vigor to do what he thought was virtuous. Many had named his reactions to be idealist, in a negative connotation, but although I also view him as idealist, his idealism is what I try to model myself after.

During the Mexican Civil War, many historians have argued throughout time, that our involvement during that era in history, was highly unnecessary but, they do not understand Wilson's point of view. His purpose in intervening was not to seize new territories, or cause intentional harm to the people of Mexico, but it was to help them. In Wilson's point of view, Huerta did not deserve to rule so harshly over the people and was illegitimate. That is why he had intervened in Mexico; it was to create stability in a nation that was torn apart into factions against each other. Wilson did not see the Mexicans as unworthy of their help because they did not have much to offer due to the chaos. He wanted to help because they were fellow human beings and that they needed it. His selflessness shone as He did not view the situation as what Mexico could do for America but what America could do for Mexico. Although, his intervention was unsuccessful and was not popular in the U.S. or Mexico, just his will to solidify his determination in the face of outstanding opposition is an aspect .

In terms of American participation of World War 1, his commitment to his duty was what shone the most in this dark time. During his first presidential term, he was able to keep neutral from the war but what had caused him to realize that war was necessary was the threat his country was facing. Germany was conducting unrestricted submarine warfare, and had even sunk the cruise ship, Lusitania. This violation against the world and to U.S. commerce and the livelihood of his people was what made him realize there was no other option but to go to war. Wilson despised the idea of going to war but he knew that if this threat was not stopped it would be harmful to every nation, so he declared war in sorrow. He understands when he must set aside his own beliefs for the greater need of the people and this loyalty and selflessness inspire me.

Shortly after a year at war, Germany surrendered and during the Versailles meeting in France, and Wilson did not even hold grudges against Germany as a state. He pleaded that those heading the government should be punished, but by overwhelming Germany with reparation debts and seizing part of their land, they would be punishing the innocent bystanders. Even as the head of an entire nation, Wilson considers the every man.

It is his commitment to selflessness, conviction, tolerance, and his ability to forgive and think rationally that makes him my role model. His entire presidency is riddled with good intentions and a strong heart. He is truly a man of virtue and someone I try to model myself after.
elizwhiz99 1 / 2  
dont say avoiding the cliche. if u really believe that Woodrow Wilson is an influential person to you, then write about him. trow cliche-ness out the window!

i didnt think woodrow wilson was a cliche-like person to pick. people usually pick their moms.
OP amjeezy 5 / 18  
ty man =]. no it was cause woodrow wilson was like one of their alumni so i dont want them to think "OH here we go with the sucking up". yeah but u thought the rest of it was good to?
iceui2 - / 70  
Unfortunately, this is not a place to write a biography of Woodrow Wilson. I barely learned about who YOU are in this essay. A cliche is a cliche - don't write about it unless that person has some kind of personal connection to you.
draconlord 6 / 24  
I have to agree with iceui. How did Woodrow Wilson impact YOU? This is a personal statement, not a history class. And to avoid sucking-up, maybe you should mention that all great historical leaders have flaws, it's okay to be imperfect, etc...

What flaws did Woodrow Wilson have?

Well...

Home / Undergraduate / "uh oh cliche! the actions of President Woodrow Wilson" - princeton essay