As of now I am still in Clinton; background or story/College Essay

Jp454584 1 / -  
Topic: Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.

Word Limit: 500
Can you please edit this and tell me if there is anything to improve.

I was born on November 22nd, 1996 in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. I grew up with both parents, my mother being ------- --------, and my father,------- -------- and my little brother. My mom finished college in India, but couldn't get a job in Canada, and my dad dropped out after 11th grade to get a job. I grew up living in Ontario, Canada living in one house, where we were close to a lot of family and friends, but then moving to another after some years

I went to school, grades K-6, with the same group of friends, which, at the time I didn't realize was a blessing, because we grew up together, we were confident and had fun together. During school, I was focused on good grades, trying to make my parents proud, but after school

After my 6th grade year, my family decided to move to a city, not so far away from where I previously lived, but far enough for me to lose the friends I had grown up with. This was the first time I had to go out of my comfort zone and had to start and make new friends again. I think this was the first time, in hindsight, that I realized that I became shy to talk to people, which made me look awkward or as an introvert. For me moving to the new school was bad, because I wasn't used to approaching people and having to be told to leave them alone, or "You will never be my friend," which as of right now, when I'm older, sounds really stupid, but at the time it made me feel less confident in myself. As I finished middle school, I made more friends that I was started to be myself around them with, and I warmed up to gained confidence again, because I knew these people, and that they are my friends that I am going to high school with, but there is a surprise, we moved again!

Except that this time we didn't move to a different city 20-30 minutes away, we moved to Bordentown, New Jersey, a 9 hour car drive, into a different country. My parents moved this time in hopes of making their lives easier as well as ours. So this time I started 9th grade in high school, in a different country which meant that yes, I had to go through the same process again: approach people, lose confidence, make good friends, warm up to everyone, and gain confidence again, only to move again!!

My parents found out that New Jersey was not the place for them. This time we moved to Clinton, Mississippi. This time it wasn't as bad, because I went to the same school as my cousin, which made me feel a little more comfortable. As of now I am still in Clinton, starting to warm up to the people around me and hopefully will stay here to graduate, and make my parents proud.
Chantal 2 / 8  
I think the beginning is a little bit bland, and in the end, you didnt expand more about you moving to Clinton. I think focus on the topic of moving, having to adapt to new environments, having to make new friends all that, and also how moving a lot changed you and what qualities it instilled in you. Try and go a bit deeper with it so that it's not like an auto biography.

Home / Undergraduate / As of now I am still in Clinton; background or story/College Essay