'close knit and diverse Colby family' - Why Colby?

dhanu12 2 / 7  
Briefly discuss your reasons for applying to Colby:

Because I want to experience liberal arts education. I believe that liberal arts education will help me in my quest for finding what I really want to do in life. Learning makes me happy and I believe that knowledge gives you power. Liberal arts education will give me a global perspective and mold my way of thinking. I want to look into the microscope, solve an obscure math problem, create an explosion in the lab, debate about China's new policy all at the same time.

Because I want to be a part of this close knit and diverse Colby family. After living in a small and diverse boarding school for two years, I understood the importance of having people with different cultures, ideals, experiences and backgrounds around me. I want to know their perspective and share mine. I want to make friendships transcending differences. Eventually, I want to create an experience wich will broaden my horizons and make me a global citizen.

Because I want to do something crazy(can I get an alternative word?) during jan plan. The very idea of jan plan excites me. I want to become an active citizen of the world. Colby and volunteerism are inextricably linked. From helping the local community to participating in the modern movements of social and environmental activism, Colby is a channel through which I can make a difference.

Because Waterville is a beautiful place. Being from a town which is close to nature, I think Waterville will be where I can explore the surroundings.

Because I think Colby's mascot is cute.
GraceTaylorWei 12 / 41  
Haha. This is absolutely amazing. Perhaps an alternative word for crazy can be "daring"?
Check out my CommonApp essay too? I'm also going for the humor approach. :)
kakari 2 / 27  
Interesting, interesting essay! Although I have no courage to write such an essay, I'm sure that admission officers like it. You are serious risk-taker! Please read my essay if you can :)
silentspring 12 / 58  
Your essay reflects that you are a risk taker! This phrase is a bit awkward: "Being from a town which is close to nature." Hope that helps.
watermark 2 / 15  
The essay is well related. That is :you show how Colby is bet fit for you and relate it to your own experience. The essay is well detailed with evidence from the school. That shows that you have done a lot of research. I also love the sense of humor that you create. This essay is very well done.

It has a few errors though:

Eventually, I want to create an experience wichwhich will...

Great job and good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / 'close knit and diverse Colby family' - Why Colby?