Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

I have a close relation to the Latin word "Mores" - FSU Admission Essay

jordanelizabeth 1 / -  
In comparison to the motto of Florida State, "Vires, Artes, Mores", I believe I have a close relation to the Latin word "Mores" in which it defines character. As once stated by Eleanor Roosevelt " People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built."

My character defines who I am. I am a strong honest, ambitious person who has learned to overcome certain fears and trials, which have only made me a stronger more dedicated student. Through out my formative years I was shy, nervous and scared to do anything in front of various people. After overcoming such fears, by running for class offices, interacting in the community, and cheerleading, I am more comfortable and more outgoing which has only strengthened my character.

When it comes to perseverance, I believe this quality has shaped my character. When the going gets tough I never stop striving to be the most successful I can be. This not only takes failure to obtain this trait in character but also takes an immense amount of strength. I began building my character at such a young age and it has followed me through out my life and reflects who I am today. This began when I was eight years old and the only thing I wanted to conquer was the art of jump roping. I was not coordinated by any means. But, I was very determined and persevered by deciding to try out for the jump rope team. After many hours and days of dedicated practicing I was ready to try out for the team. Not only did I make the team, I made the advanced team. So all of my hard work paid off, which taught me that perseverance and determination are the keys to success and the knowledge of this has followed me to my later years during this high school career.

Another strong factor of my character is I am always willing to lend a helping hand. I seek satisfaction in helping by tutoring other students, which are those who are not as naturally skilled in academics. I feel this is a great part of my character because not everyone has the talent to help out others as well as receive fulfillment from such a mission. Having the gift to help others is very important to character not only because it strengthens your character but it also builds confidence in others.

Character is not made by how many achievements you make but by how much you can learn from an experience and make something of it. I believe by learning courage, perseverance, and by being able to help others. I have formed myself into a strong character that would fit the mold for a Florida State student. Florida State has such a long-standing tradition of strength, intellect and character that I would love to be a part of that tradition.

Home / Undergraduate / I have a close relation to the Latin word "Mores" - FSU Admission Essay