"Out of clutter find simplicity, from discord find harmony, in the middle of difficulty lies ..."

peperoniz 2 / 3  
What matters to you and why?

"Out of clutter find simplicity, from discord find harmony, in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity."- Albert Einstein

We tend to worship harmony rather than discord and yet it is discord that provides the potential for discovery and positive change. The realization that we can change things we don't like is powerful and hopeful. It is often the struggle that provides the benefits.

In my own life, I was forced to adapt to new cultures that I did not understand or even agree with. When I moved to Venezuela I met people who were greatly opposed to gay rights. My best friends constantly made fun of homosexual people and expressed their disgust toward them. One day I had had enough of their discrimination. The sexual orientation of a person in no way changes the value or integrity of their character. It does not matter who someone loves and frankly it is not anyone's business. This is exactly what I told my friends. I have friends who are homosexual and I knew that I had to stand up for them. My friends in Venezuela and I got into a heated argument, but at the end of it I felt better. I knew that by standing up for my values I had opened their eyes at least a little to their bigotries.

It is a paradoxical truth that harmony is found in the midst of discord. Discord matters to me because from it comes a synergetic creativity that propels change and progress in our world. It is through discord that the world becomes a better place.

Any comments on this supplement essay would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Taylor_Cole 2 / 5 1  
I love this answer to the prompt, but I would try to create a bit more of a strong grabbing HOOK at the beginning, maybe by giving a brief narrative account of what happened? Also make sure to avoid passive voice "it is", "was", etc. Great job!

Home / Undergraduate / "Out of clutter find simplicity, from discord find harmony, in the middle of difficulty lies ..."