CMC Essay "Atticus Finch" Applying EDII

namibest 3 / 11  
Leadership is a constant theme and emphasis at CMC. In fact, one of the ways we describe CMC students is "Leaders in the Making." Choose someone, fictional or nonfictional, historical or contemporary, whom you consider to be a leader. Suppose you are this person's primary advisor. How would you advise this person and why?

Any help would be very much appreciated, this is my most important supplement. Is the structure and transitions alright? Did I answer the prompt? I tried writing from the heart because this was one of the books that influenced me the most. Also, did I "advise" this person, it was really hard finding any negative things about Atticus because he is a great person all around. Thanks in advance and I'll be sure to return the favor. I revised it a bit this time.

Dear Atticus Finch,

Even though you live in a small town, you have a direct positive impact on everyone around you. Your quote, "Courage is not a man with a gun in his hand. It's knowing you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do," shows that even in the face of adversity, you keep calm and keep your head up. I hold this mindset with every task I partake in. When I was in Science Olympiad, we would always arrive in second place and lose to another team in our district; although being defeated in the prior years, we studied hard and won first place in the region. Besides your perseverance, you have shown leadership through your dedication and contributions. Even knowing that your community is predominately racist, you ignore this and look for the good in everyone. You went as far as to take Tom Robinson's case, knowing that a racist jury would never acquit a black man accused of raping a white woman no matter how false the charges are, to change people's opinions of the black community. Never lose your drive to help those weaker than you, the world needs more people like that.

When you gave Jem his first gun, you told him not to kill any mockingbirds. At first I thought you were compassionate about birds, but I soon realized that a mockingbird is anyone who is weak or defenseless. To kill a mockingbird in that sense is to take advantage of someone weaker than you, as Mr. Ewell did to Tom Robinson, but you tried to stop it. With every page I flipped, I gained a newfound respect for you, Mr. Finch. I have since then lived and will live my life without "killing any mockingbirds."

You taught your daughter, Scout, a monumental lesson: always put yourself in other people's shoes. It takes a very rare leader to take a step back and view matters from others' perspectives. Knowing that Mr. Cunningham was too poor to pay you, you allowed him to repay you in various foods. When the mob came to lynch Tom Robinson, you acknowledged their ill feelings and reasoned with them, believing good will always triumph over bad. Whenever I hear a dispute going on, I stop myself from automatically taking one's side to analyze the situation from both people's perspectives.

Leadership is a quality that can never be perfected and a true leader never ceases to learn. Every action has a reaction and by defending Tom Robinson, you unintentionally endangered your children. If Boo Radley were not there, things might have ended for the worse. Situations like these entail that you must live with the consequences of your actions, always keep that in mind. Keep your loved ones close, and no matter how caught up you become in your work, never forget that they are there. Use them as a source of inspiration and motivation; seeing how hard my parents work to provide for me motivates me to do well in school.

A true leader is characterized by the greatness in their relationship with their followers. You, Atticus Finch, embody this vision being respected by everyone in Maycomb. I, too, hope to have a positive influence on the people around me wherever I am. You symbolize wisdom, honesty, and dedication-traits that I strive to represent. I hope that I will be the type of leader that galvanizes others to question the norm and change the way they view the word around them like you. Wherever I go, I hope to be the Atticus Finch of my community.

Best wishes for the future,
abatado /  
There is no grammatical error in this essay----at least that I can find at this time :)

But just a reminder, your essay focuses on the actual story of the novel and your admiration of the character. The prompt specifically asks YOU to ADVISE the person, not the other way around.

Just change few words around here and there, and I think you'll have an essay that can outshine many of the other applicants! Be sure to take a look at my Princeton supplement as well, it is due today and I need all the help I can get. Thanks in advance.

Home / Undergraduate / CMC Essay "Atticus Finch" Applying EDII