Coffee and its universal laws. Caltech students have fun.

Isabellaalmeida 11 / 26 5  
Caltech students have long been known for their quirky sense of humor, whether it be through planning creative pranks, building elaborate party sets, or even the year-long preparation that goes into our annual Ditch Day. Please describe an unusual way in which you have fun. (200 word max)

"Golden ratio" coffee recipe

Boil 200 ml of water. Take a full spoon of powder coffee. Pick up a coffee strainer and filter it. Add 1 tea spoon of sugar: I call this recipe "Golden ratio".

Finding universal laws while preparing multiple types of coffees: that's my hobby.
Expresso, Barista, Latte Macchiato. Each one is regulated by laws I'm still discovering. The most dangerous thing in those experiments is using the wrong proportion: if you add more milk than necessary, you can transform a "half milk half coffe" into a pingado.

So far, the best combination I've ever found is Mocha: its elegant three-phase combination of chocolate, coffee and milk (because its equation has two roots for milk, we also admit milk bubbles on the top). By mixing Chocolate do Padre with condensed-milk at hot temperatures, I make brigadeiro, a traditional Brazilian candy. After, I prepare pure coffee according to my Golden Ratio recipe. Next, I heat whole milk on low flame until it is almost boiling and add it to the god-recipe. This proportion should always be 1 chocolate: 3 coffee: 2 milk (Unity of Volume). After drinking it, I'm prepared to another experiment.
pchaulk 1 / 3 2  
Hello,
You picked a common daily ritual to write about. Preparing coffee is part of everyday experience for most people. Your process does not seem different from the normal way to make coffee, other than yours is instant. Had you described hand picking special coffee beans that fill the air with intoxicating aromatic scent, that might be not as normal and more interesting. Using the term golden ratio, to describe mixing water, instant coffee, and sugar, seems to overly embellish what is being described. I do not understand what you mean by universal laws. I get what you are trying to say but it does not work. Even if you travelled the world to learn more about coffee, the only universal law you would find is water, and coffee. There is nothing dangerous about coffee accept it can burn skin; tasting bad is not dangerous. Mocha is well known, therefore you did not find it; and I'm not sure what you mean when saying "its equation has two roots for milk, we also admit milk bubbles on the top'? Again you used the term golden ratio and in the next sentence you refer to it as a god-recipe, this just doesn't make sense. There are some grammar errors that you should be able to pick up by reading it over again. I do like your idea... its clever but not that interesting. The prompt you were given describes complex episodes that involve other people, in various places, planning elaborate events. Making instant coffee does not sound as fun as those, and your job is to make it sound just as fun. Please consider what I've said. I wish you the best! Cheers.
Isabella, I do not see any quirk in this essay. You are just referring to how you make your favorite coffee and nothing more. A quirky presentation of this procedure would be something like you dancing in front of the coffee maker to make sure that the coffee would come out right. Dancing in a specific manner that you believe pleases the coffee gods because your coffee is one that earns high praise from everyone who tastes it. The quirk will come from the physical ritual that will seem strange to people but you swear helps to make the coffee taste better. Maybe you dance the salsa or the lambada, maybe event he cha-cha while you mix the coffee using your "golden ratio" is what will create the necessary quirk in the presentation. If you cannot create a unique scenario for the making of the coffee, then you should consider a prank that you pulled on someone in the past that created a funny situation in the end. Think of how you have fun, like the prompt says. Don't try to relate everything back to your love for science. You have to relate this to how you have fun, without science.
OP Isabellaalmeida 11 / 26 5  
Thank you very much for your comments @pchaulk and @Holt!

Home / Undergraduate / Coffee and its universal laws. Caltech students have fun.