Unanswered [5] / Urgent [0] / SERVICES

Undergraduate Posts: 4

Colgate Supplemental (3 words your friend would use to describe you)

leylamagsud 4 / 7 1  

what my friend thinks about me?

To be able to really comprehend what my friend means when describing me, I am obliged to shed light on the person my friend is. My friend is very unconventional, in the sweetest way possible. This magnetic pull of unconventionality is probably the basis of our long-lasting friendship. Consequently, when asked to describe me in three words, she took a different approach. As she says, "three words are just not enough to describe your beautifully peculiar nature."

She says I am an unstoppable visionary. I remember the exact moment she told me this. I had just finished explaining my life-long dream of becoming a successful neurosurgeon, who then opens up a small two-story shop. The first floor will, essentially, be my tattoo & piercing parlor. I imagine the second floor to be a sort of escape from reality. Picture this - soft bean bags sprinkled around a vintage USSR turntable that will most certainly play Queen most of the time, and the smell of freshly brewed coffee in the air.

"You also tend to look at people through rose-tinted glasses." It's true, I do try to see the best in people. It seems utterly foolish to focus on the negative aspects of life. "Your understanding of life is also one of the reasons why you are dubbed the "class clown," she says. What can I say? I love making people laugh.

As this essay comes to an end, I hope my friend painted a nice picture of who I am.

Word count: 250 words
Any help is appreciated!

Holt [Contributor] - / 7,303 1841  
Leyla, never deviate from the prompt instructions regardless of how useless you think the instructions are. You are being tested in your ability to follow instructions during this written interview. Don't change the instructions just because you feel the prompt is insufficient or because you want to be more creative in your presentation. The reviewer asks for 3 words, then you must deliver 3 words that will describe you as a person. That is not hard to do considering this is a manners, conduct, and character essay response.

How would your friend describe you? Some of the single word references that come to mind are honest, helpful, caring, trusting, trustworthy, kindred, moral, friendly, just, among other single reference words that can be used by someone to describe a friend's character and conduct. Revise the essay. Follow the instructions. You can choose any of the above single reference words or develop your own. Just stick to the required format. Don't create your own because you will never know better than the reviewer. Going against the discussion instructions will never be a good thing for you to do as it will give the reviewer a clear reason to reject your application. Stand out using the basic one word descriptions to describe 3 aspects of your personality. Use one word then explain the circumstances that led to the choosing of that description for your action or personality. That is what you have to do.
arnoldb 2 / 3 3  
@leylamagsud
We want to get to know you better. What are three words that your best friend would use to describe you and why?
Leyla, the admissions officer want to know who you are from someone's perspective- your friend in this case. You have no room to describe what kind of a person your friend is like you did in the first paragraph. You should approach this prompt like an interview where you're asking your 'best friend' the reasons he/she has a strong friendship with you. Your task is to tell the admissions officer the results of that interview. The three words and the reasons why your friend chose those three words will give the admissions team a picture of who you are.

For example, you noted that your friend describes you as a 'clown', that's one word. Your next task is to give a briefaccount of why your friend describes you like that?
OP leylamagsud 4 / 7 1  
Thank you so much for the feedback! I changed it up a little, but I am slightly over the word limit (20 words over). Mind going over my essay again? Thank you in advance!

The first word my friend would use to describe me is "dreamer." "You are an unstoppable visionary," she said once after I painted a picture of what my dream life looks like. A successful neurosurgeon who owns a small two-story shop. The first floor - my own tattoo & piercing parlor. The second floor - a psychological solace. "Picture this," I said. " Soft bean bags sprinkled around a vintage turntable and the smell of freshly brewed coffee in the air, creating a beautiful concoction".

The second word she used was joyous. "You look at life through rose-tinted glasses." I do tend to find joy in the simplest things of life, even in something as small as a ladybug landing on my hand. I love to make myself and others around me laugh. There is, unfortunately, ample load of reasons a person can depress over, so why not focus on the good happening in our world? As quoted by almost every 12-year old with access to a Twitter account - you only live once.

Her last word choice was genuine. I don't think much should be said about this one - it's pretty straightforward. I, like most young teenage girls, went through an identity crisis that left me confused and irritated. Fortunately, I was able to find myself and accept the person that I am - goofy, vulnerable, and sometimes just plain weird.

As this awkward phase of describing myself comes to an end, I must say I did quite enjoy it. Hopefully, my friend succeeded in painting a picture of who I really am.

Home / Undergraduate / Colgate Supplemental (3 words your friend would use to describe you)