College Admissions Essay about dish that holds a strong assoicative to you.

yasin391 6 / 22  
I am writing and essay for an undergraduate college admission which includes the following prompt:

Our association of food with culture is generally automatic and unquestioned. Food, because it is so inextricably tied with need and pleasure, becomes the nexus of rich association. In this essay, tell us about a dish that holds a strong associative power for you and teach us something that is of personal importance to you. (500 words or less)

Here is the essay:
As a person of Bangladeshi background, my culture and food is a very important part of my life. One dish that holds a strong associative power for me is mishti which is generally sweetened curd made of milk, sugar and curd. This sweet has a strong associative power for me because it connects me with culture and maintains my heritage. As a traditional food it is great as a snack and dessert.

Many people buy sweet from the store, but my parents usually make it at home, so it creates more attraction to tradition. Similarly, in Bangladesh some people have mishti (sweetened curd) made at their home. Mishti is one of the many foods that are made at home, that create a nexus of association in ethnicity and location. Foods like mishti helps me to be connected with my Bangladeshi culture and allows me to remember my ethnic background while being away from Bangladesh.

In addition to culture, it also maintains a sense of heritage. Mishti is usually served in a party or celebration. It is also used as a gift to people on holidays and creates a tradition, which binds Bengalish together. Friends, family and even neighbors, are part of this traditional way; sharing mishti, to show their satisfaction. Mishti is one of the Bengali foods that helps people to live together and also serves as a gift card in food form. It maintains tradition and helps people to participate in the action of giving.

While being in such as diverse environment like New York, culture foods like Mishti allow me to feel like I still belong to this Bangladeshi culture. It is very important for me to maintain my cultural background, because while living far away from Bangladesh, the food allows me to have a constant reminder of my distant home. It serves as a bridged of New York and Bangladesh. In events such as holidays of Eid and Ramadan, Mishti is one cultural foods that allow family and friends to come together and share this food as a commemoration of the heritage we are still a part of.
OP yasin391 6 / 22  
Can anyone please help me. I really appreciate it. Please thanks,
Yasin
angann29 1 / 4  
i hope this changes will help:

(...) READ ABOVE FOR THE FIRST PART

OP yasin391 6 / 22  
Thanks, it is great. I noticed some more errors and I fixed those to. Thanks a lot for reading my essay over and revising it for me.

Thanks,
Yasin
This is very well-written, and it responds perfectly to the prompt. It is great that you incorporated culture, too!

One dish that holds a strong associative power for me is mishti, which is generally sweetened curd made of milk, sugar and curd.

While being in such as diverse environment as New York, culture foods like Mishti allow me to feel like I still belong to this Bangladeshi culture. It is very important for me to maintain my cultural background; while living far away from Bangladesh, the food provides for me a constant reminder of my distant home.
Angann29, one idea for you, since you are providing helpful feedback, it to use the "bold" option to highlight changes you make for peoples' essays! Thanks so much for helping!!!
OP yasin391 6 / 22  
thanks all of you for your help.

Thanks,
Yasin

Home / Undergraduate / College Admissions Essay about dish that holds a strong assoicative to you.