College of Arts and Sciences; UPenn Sup/ Engage academically

koliva223 4 / 4 2  
Prompt: A Penn education provides a liberal arts and sciences foundation across multiple disciplines with a practical emphasis in one of four undergraduate schools: the College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Engineering and Applied Science, the School of Nursing, or the Wharton School. Given the undergraduate school to which you are applying, please discuss how you will engage academically at Penn: (300 words)

I will use my Penn education as a foundation for making a mark on the Penn community by gaining insight on potential research through a Science, Technology, and Society major with a sub major in engineering. At the College of Arts and Sciences, I will engage academically through completing pre-med requirements, while focusing on a major that I believe is a great medium for solving world problems. First, one must understand the circumstances in which one is imposing their ideas, and I believe exploration within the College of Arts and Sciences will allow me to do this.

I would study abroad for global connections and an auxiliary to my proficiency in Chinese. There are several Chinese intensive programs that I can find myself immersed at places such as Peking University and Tsinghua University in Beijing. I'm glad Penn encourages students to go beyond the Foreign Language Requirement because this is exactly what I plan to do.

The University Scholars program entails the type of environment I would want to do research in. "An early start in graduate and professional courses" is important to me because I do not want to waste any time figuring out what I want to do. I have my general direction, but need the direct experience for self-clarification. I need this rigorous environment to help me thrive.

It is clear that Penn treats its students as individuals, and self-drive is needed to thrive in this community. The countless research opportunities are seeked out by the students themselves. I did not want to be binded during my undergraduate years and want to be in contact with as many different people and can do so with my multiple interests. Gaining success depends on how I execute myself, while Penn guarantees access to resources.
ding377 1 / 29 2  
I have my general direction, but need the direct experience for self-clarification.

The countless research opportunities are seekedsought out by the students themselves.

I did not want to be bindedbound during my undergraduate years and want to be in contact with as many different people and can do so with my multiple interests.

Good essay - very specific about what you want to do. Good luck with the rest of your Penn application!

Would you look over my essay too, please? Thanks!

Home / Undergraduate / College of Arts and Sciences; UPenn Sup/ Engage academically