College of Arts and Sciences: What work of art music, science, mathematics prompt UVA

RickRoss 2 / 1  
Please do not hesitate to correct and criticize every aspect of my essay, also please suggest suitable conclusions. Highly appreciated, Thanks!

I remember that day clearly, it was the night before my 14th birthday and I'd been getting sick of the contemporary music. The rap songs or the electronic dance music wasn't something I had always been infatuated with. Even in school I'd feigned my compliance towards that genre of contemporary songs to make my friends happy and obviously not to seem odd.

That night, I'd heard a funny name on the internet, Led Zeppelin. It sounded like some kind of a metal from chemistry class. I'd then learnt that it was supposed to be one of the greatest rock bands of all time. Although I'd never heard of them, I didn't have anything else to listen so I downloaded one of their songs.

Stairway to heaven it was titled and by god I did not know the profound effect it would have on my taste of music. The first time I heard the song I was quite unsettled as it was completely different from the type of contemporary music I had heard all my life and even though this was the first time I had ever been exposed to classic rock music, I felt a subtle connection with sound of the song.

Like something that I'd always known and wanted my entire life. The transition from the creamy, soft sound of Robert plant to the near perfect distorted one of jimmy page's guitar was surprising as I'd expected the song to remain soft. The unpredictability and complexity of the lyrics was completely different from that of the then happening music which bought me closer to myself as a person and a being.
fishes 1 / 10 1  
Aside from the grammatical errors noted in the previous comments, there is also the subject matter. A lot of teenagers will talk about going through some musical awakening, so this doesn't distinguish you. Try to be concise on your initial reaction and talk more about how your life has changed. Maybe you've been introduced to more artists, or your perception of what music/art can do has changed, not just about how it sounds good. Maybe you've been motivated to express yourself creatively?

"by god I did not know the profound effect it would have on my taste of music." What was this effect exactly? Elaborate on that.

Hopefully this will help you think of a conclusion.

Home / Undergraduate / College of Arts and Sciences: What work of art music, science, mathematics prompt UVA