College essay. The greatest impact on your life? This is my mother.

ketajiaj 1 / 1  
The essay section of this application offers you a chance to demonstrate your ability to organize thoughts and express yourself. With this objective
in mind, choose one of the following questions as an essay topic. Please type or print legibly in ink. Suggested length: 500 words.
Who has had the greatest impact on your life?

This is what I have so far. I feel like it's too bland.

Initially, there is one person in this world, besides god that has had an impact on my life, Tamara Jackson. My mother has helped shape the way I view life, and the way I view myself. My mother has ultimately been the rainbow after every storm in my life. When my father left, I turned down a dark road. I felt as if it was my fought that he didn't stay. Therefore I believed that I was worthless and would never succeed in life. She has taught me to accept the harsh things in life, and turn them anew. I remember a year an ago she asked me a question. She asked, "What do you call a skyscraper with broken windows, and no elevator?" I shrugged and looked at her with confusion. Her response was " Its still a skyscraper. No matter if it is lacking things, it is still standing there strong, still rising above all buildings that appear perfect". I learned from her that god doesn't put too much on me that I cannot bear. My mother has taught me that I would be a forever-rising star, always reaching even when it's seems impossible. Her impact in my life has left me knowing that, in life, there are things that are given to me, and some things that are there for me to take, or left for others to take away from me. It is ultimately up to me to decide which road I will take.

Likewise, as a child, I watched my mother work extremely hard to make sure my sister and I were taken care of. Even if she went days without eating she made sure we had food on the table, clothes on our back, and a roof over our heads. In my household, I was taught to work hard for what I wanted and if it ever came down to needing help, only get it as a last resort. She instilled in my head that I should never depend on any one to take care of me. The love that she has given to me unconditionally inspires me to work harder than she did to better my life, and ultimately make her proud. I look to my mother as my personal protector. She has the soul and fire of a businesswoman, but the heart and spirit of a guardian angel. Her attitude toward life has impacted the way that I live, think, and behave. I realize that the love that God has been induced into her, has consumed me as well. My mother's influence has impacted me the most throughout my last year of high school. She has taught me that everything that I do has a consequence behind it. Through her, I've gained the knowledge of knowing that in life, there will be obstacles, obstacles that will be almost unbearable. But watching her overcome those obstacles has opened up my so many doors for me. It helped me blossom from a young adolescent into a maturing young lady. Knowing that she has made it on her own, will lead me in life. It will be that little angel on my shoulder, telling me that life could be worst, but it isn't. Due to her perseverance, as a provider, she is not only my mother, but also a best friend: never judgmental, but always right. Therefore this is why my mother will always be the woman who changed my life.
Bernard1 2 / 2  
your essay is nice and well organised but i would like to advice you that, if there is someone else who is important than your mother i guess that would grab the attention of the admission officers or make your essay stand out.Am saying this because believe me most of the applicants will use the same idea of mother as their influence in achieving their goals, the point is using mother as a key subject is too common.
OP ketajiaj 1 / 1  
So do you think I should go in another direction by rewriting the entire essay, and focusing on someone else?
jes618 1 / 2  
Hi!
I think this is a good start, but it sounds a little too much like a summary. The essay would be more powerful if you took one or two specific examples and described them in detail. As long as your essay is powerful, the common topic choice mentioned in the answer above won't be a problem.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it's not. Like I said, this is a really good start!
(answer mine? Common app essay: Topic of your choice)
Bernard1 2 / 2  
Yes, even the officers know that their mothers have a great influence to them, and you want your essay to stand out so you have to write something different.

Home / Undergraduate / College essay. The greatest impact on your life? This is my mother.