College essay (hardships of coming to U.S and how I overcame then)

graby95 2 / 2  
Write about my hardships of coming to the U.S and how I overcame them

Five years ago my mother and I migrated to the United States to live with my father. At the time I was jovial about finally getting to know my dad in person, rather than by long letters and telephone calls that lacked physical contact. We came from Cuba with the idea of finding better opportunities. However, I did not envision at that time my adversity with learning a new language, making new friends, and getting accustomed to a new culture.

I started eighth grade with no knowledge of English apart from the alphabet and numbers. Although some of the students at my school spoke Spanish, none of them were willing to help me. As a result I felt discouraged and powerless. I thought I wasn't going to make it to ninth grade. I cried at home several times and my mom would comfort me. After a month of misery and disappointment I decided that I wouldn't be the victim anymore. If there is something that my mom has taught me better than anything is that I should always overcome the obstacles that life throws at me. That day I went to my teachers and asked them if they were able to help me after school with my classes. In addition, I began to read books in English with the help of my dad and the dictionary. These events developed my passion for reading and ultimately evolved my ability to communicate in this unfamiliar and exquisite language.

Even though I was getting better at conveying my feelings, ideas, impressions, and knowledge through the art of writing, I felt isolated. I was friendless for a whole year. The only way I could escape the loneliness was through music. For this matter, I enrolled in dance class. At the end of eighth grade my dance teacher asked me to audition for the High school dance team. I was diligent and I knew that I would try my hardest to deserve that spot on the team. I got accepted and stayed on the dance team for two years. In this time I learned that working as a team could accomplish amazing things and I befriended people that were as passionate for music as I was.

My junior year came and I saw many of my friends graduate, others transferred from dance to different sports. I realized that I didn't feel as close to the dance team as in the beginning, but I still loved the music. After considering my options I made the decision to apply for the music program. Additionally I tried-out for cheerleading in hopes that I would keep working as a team and make new friends in the process. Luckily I got accepted into both groups.

From this day I have grown as a person. I have become courageous, cheerful, confident, and loyal. I have become part of a family.
hninaung 1 / 1  
Five years ago, my mother and I migrated to the United States to live with my father. At the time, I was jovial about getting to know my dad in person, rather than by long letters and telephone calls that lacked physical contact. We came from Cuba with the idea of finding better opportunities. However, I did not envision at that time my adversity with learning a new language, making new friends, and getting accustomed to a new culture.

I started eighth grade with no knowledge of English apart from the alphabet and numbers. Although some of the students at my school spoke Spanish, none of them was willing to help me. As a result, I felt discouraged and powerless. I thought I was not going to make it to ninth grade. Therefore, I cried at home several times and my mom would comfort me. After a month of misery and disappointment, I decided that I would not be the victim anymore. If there is something that my mom has taught me better than anything, I should always overcome the obstacles that life throws at me. That day I went to my teachers and asked them if they were able to help me after school with my classes. In addition, I began to read books in English with the help of my dad and the dictionary. Finally, I have a passionate feeling about for reading and ultimately evolved my ability to communicate in this unfamiliar and exquisite language.

Even though I was getting better at conveying my feelings, ideas, impressions, and knowledge through the art of writing, I felt isolated. I was friendless for a whole year. The only way I could escape the loneliness was through music. For this matter, I enrolled in dance class. At the end of eighth grade my dance teacher asked me to audition for the High school dance team. I was diligent and I knew that I would try my hardest to deserve that spot on the team. I got accepted and stayed on the dance team for two years. In this time, I learned that working as a team could accomplish amazing things and I befriended people that were as passionate for music as I was.

Home / Undergraduate / College essay (hardships of coming to U.S and how I overcame then)