College Essay for Ringling! Unsure of what I have is good enough or not.

Xiewin 1 / -  
Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story (500 - 650 word limit)

In school, many took notice of my strange facial characteristics, making me susceptible to bullying. I became very self-conscious and anxious. Afraid of being judged for my prominently flawed appearance, I began refraining myself from unnecessary human interaction, in and out of school. It was a condition oral condition called bi-maxillary protrusion. It disfigured the lower part of my face, causing my upper and lower teeth to protrude further than the average facial proportion.

Instead of partaking in social groups, I preferred spending most of my pastime watching animated movies/shows. Introducing me to the world of "animation;" an interest, which ultimately led me to become inspired to do art. For a while, I would sit there in my room, drawing already existing cartoon characters and animals as seen on TV. Despite the positive connotation of the drawings, they helped me release those feelings of frustration on paper, allowing me to escape from my past reality. However, I recall one particular day when an extraordinary film aired on TV, introducing me to an interest that impacted the outcome of my art immensely.

I recall sitting on my tan, sheet-covered bed. The TV was on, exhibiting a gleaming bright light. The channel set on cartoon network. A movie came on, called "Spirited Away". A scenic Japanese film that inspired the beginning of the motivation I needed to create my artistic pieces.

I recall how stylistically different the animation was from Americas. I found the detailed and sensitive facial features of the characters like nothing I had ever seen ever before. The backgrounds were vibrant and with a realistic oil paint-like texture. The tone, with a mixture of both dark and bright settings, gave off a sense of imagination and wonder, an exhilarating feeling. I admired its blissful and mellow atmosphere, its deep and intriguing plot rooted in historical Japanese mythology, along with its grounded and lively characters composed of saddened back stories and complex motives. Thinking back, I realize that my isolation helped me discover some of the most fascinating creations of animation. After my discovery, I began looking into similar works, opening up a world of different influence.

That sense of creativity and depth found within Japanese animation is what engages me to create animated-like pieces of art. Its ability to take the most basic concepts and integrate them into complex and abstract stories has a huge influence on what I do. Due to my past insecurities, I found this as something that I can intimately relate to. The conflict, heart and profundity found within these stories became a gateway for me to overcome my inner struggles.

I am continuously pushing myself to do works that consist of capturing the simplistic aspects of life, like as well as energetic/moody and abstract work with lively color variations. I enjoy drawing basic ordinary subjects such as: animals, people, and plants while showcasing subtle hints of a bigger story or conflict. I want to illustrate gradual abstract and screenshots, screenshots that showcase powerful moments established from a basic idea. Digital Illustration is a major that would enable me to portray conceptual visions on screen. Discovering Japanese animation, such as "Spirited Away," allowed for the blossoming of inspiration to come forth; expanding my horizon of what I can create. To see my ideas come alive compels me to create and expressively draw my specific style of art.
Ssakshijain 28 / 146 87  
.Hi Lilly....
Only few corrections which I would like to do.

.... It was a condition, (you forgot to add comma here I guess) oral condition called bi-maxillary protrusion....

.... A movie came on, called "Spirited Away". A scenic Japanese film that inspired the beginning of thea new motivation inside meI needed to create my own artistic pieces. ....

.... I admired its blissful and mellow atmosphere, its deep and intriguing plot rooted in historical Japanese mythology, along with its grounded and lively characters composed of saddened back stories and complex motives ...

Good luck :)
desigirl16 2 / 3 1  
-IntroducingThis introduced me to the world of "animation; ", an interest, which ultimately led me to become inspiredinspired me to do art.

-For a while, I would sit thereI would sit for a while in my room, drawing already existing cartoon characters and animals asI'd seen on TV.

Also, maybe try strengthening the last sentence. The conclusion as a whole is great, I just feel like the last sentence of the essay needs to have more of a lasting effect on the reader.

This essay told me much about you as a person, not only that your condition inspired your interest in animation, but also that you are someone who can take something negative and turn it into something positive.
Lilly, I believe that you should not use the story about your discovery and development of your interest in animation in this prompt. The story that you provided is geared more towards the prompts that ask you to explain the development of your interest in your chosen major rather than a background, talent, interest, or skill narrative. My suggestion, is that you instead talk about the bullying that you experienced.

While it may sound cliche-ish by now since it seems like all students experience one form of bullying at a certain point in their school lives, the truth is that your story is a unique one because it had to do with something that you could not control, your physical development. That is the background story that you should be sharing with the reviewer. Tell the reviewer about the bullying, what you learned from the experience, and how you are using that experience to become a better version of yourself.

As much as possible, you should avoid sharing stories that can be better related to other prompts in your application packet. In this case, this prompt is asking you to present a personal side that is not going to be represented by the other common app prompts. So use it to introduce yourself to the reviewer. Make sure that he gets to know the kind of person you have become through your life experiences. Keep in mind that the information you provide about yourself in this prompt could very well spell the difference between an interest in giving you a face to face interview soon or making your application simply one of those for consideration at a later date.

Building your background story in relation to a significant personal experience is essential with this type of prompt. So get as personal as you will be comfortable doing so. Portray yourself as a survivor who knows how to handle the most difficult aspects of life. Don't hide behind the anime interest. That is a cop-out which does not fully deliver the idea behind the prompt.
irfan727 49 / 68 29  
hello lilly, let me try to give some recommendations on your passage

A scenic Japanese film that inspired the beginning of the motivation I needed to create my artisticart pieces

I am continuously pushingforce myself to carry out works that consist of capturing [...] and abstract work with livelyconspicuous color variations.
... gradual abstract and screenshots, screenshots thatit showcases powerful moments ...

thanks, hope it can helps

Home / Undergraduate / College Essay for Ringling! Unsure of what I have is good enough or not.