"College search as a special interest, experience" - TULANE UNIVERSITY ESSAY

cschupp10 2 / 3  
Okay, so i am filling out the application and the prompt is as follows:
"Using the space below, please write between 250 and 500 words to describe a special interest, significant experience or achievement, or anything else that has special meaning to you or had a significant influence on you."

I have started to write the essay but i am stuck. I don't know where i should go from here or if i should just scrap the entire thing and start over. HELP!

here's what i have:
A special experience that has had a significant influence on me is this: the college search. By applying to prestigious universities and digging up information about my past, I have learned a great deal about myself. I think that is the whole point of this process. Writing personal statements and essays about my talents, traits, and experiences has forced me to think about the kind of person I am, as well as the type of person I want to become.
dennis730 1 / 7  
The first time I thought of when reading through this is that your topic is not that original. Everything you have written so far is sort of cliche. I am certain college admission people know the purpose of forcing students to write essays is to get them to "think about the kind of person I am, as well as the type of person I want to become."

Sorry if I sounded really harsh.
OP cschupp10 2 / 3  
No, no that is just about exactly what i thought. I just am having trouble finding something to write about. and suggestions?
dennis730 1 / 7  
I think an experience that might seem ordinary as first can be made interesting as long as the way it is written is interesting. Good luck!
A special experience that has had a significant influence on me is this: the college search.

I think they can figure it out without you spoonfeeding to them the idea that the college search is the topic of the essay.

By applying to prestigious universities and digging up information about my past, I have learned...I think you should add some sentences about the context of this college search... the overarching plan that includes the college search, the studies, and the professional work you intend to do.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "College search as a special interest, experience" - TULANE UNIVERSITY ESSAY