College teachers are not all the same.

abd85 2 / 6  
Hello everybody!
For the first time I feel like a fool! The reason is that I wrote an essay and give it to one teacher to revise it. He didn't like the essay at all and gave me millions of mistakes.

I scored nothing! I don't know why. I just want to make sure that my essay is really full of mistakes. Could you please revise it and I appreciate that.

Lastly, could you please tell me where is the weak points in my writing. Is it because we do not read a lot, or is it because we think in our native language?

Thank you in advance.

The essay that I wrote goes by:

College teachers

At my college, I always repeat the famous proverb which says: "as different as chalk and cheese." It actually represents the huge difference between my positive and negative teachers.

The first group, my positive teachers seem to be cooperative. They are always willing for questions and discussions in class. Dr. John Miles, my English professor, is a good example of a positive teacher. One day, I had a trouble with essay writing. The problem was about the coherence between paragraphs. Dr. Miles noticed that and started to help me. He took several hours of his own time teaching me how to tackle with it until I become better.

The second group, my negative teachers are unhelpful. They give lectures quickly and do not allow the students to ask. Once, when my colleagues and I were having some difficulties with understanding collocation, my English teacher, Dr. Sarah Smith, did not explain enough the combination of words together. I do remember that day when I asked her about the difference between" strict rule" and "rigid rule"; she become quite angry and answered me irritably!

Finally, I'm convinced that all teachers are not the same! So, when teachers are judged as positive, students learn better. No doubt that they are the best!
yang 2 / 313  
abd85
may I point out that this is in the wrong forum?

though i'm not an english teacher...far from it, i'd still like to give my opinion, if you don't mind.

well, if your teacher's dr. sarah smith, you deserved to fail.
if your teacher's john miles...it's still not a surprise that you failed
if your teacher's none of the above...i see every reason why he/she's failed you.

think about it, would you give a student a high mark for an essay that insults one of your own colleagues?

COME ON! you never ever name teacher names in essays; generalization is an art. Judging specific teachers will get you absolutely nowhere since you 1.don't have the credibility to judge an established professor, 2.your teacher is probably laughing with the person you judged right now, and you've made yourself 1 more enemy.

Now, the essay itself isn't that bad. It's analytical, although rather childish, and has good syntax and grammar.

again, what killed you is naming the teachers and judging them negatively-or actually, judging them at all!
veriazz 1 / 3  
I agree with yang, you should definitely take out the teachers' names and examples in class, as you will either look like a suck-up or an whinner to the professor or teacher.
OP abd85 2 / 6  
yang
veriazz

Thank you for answering.
Well, I admit that I created the thread in the wrong section; it was supposed to be in Essay Writing Feedback. Sorry for that!

I know that naming teacher's names is impudence and wrong, but these names are not existed. In fact, these names are simply from my mind in order to complete my essay.

So, the teacher did not mention the mistakes by pointing out the names. She simply said:
1-) the essay lacks coherence.
2-) the essay would be better if I used short-sentences.. (Subject- verb- the rest of sentence.
3-) the essay contain unnecessary further details especially in examples(exaggerating )
4-) the essay is.. The essay needs.. The essay should be.. etc...

P.S: I won't again ask revising any teacher who, consciously or unconsciously, makes the students feel low. If I were a teacher, I would do anything to encourage them in writing.
yang 2 / 313  

sometimes, teachers don't tell you everything you did wrong...it's kinda like a first impression; they can't say that don't like your essay because...they just don't like it, but the impression and the "hidden" factors will make them grade a bit differently.

the essay lacks coherence.

i wouldn't say coherence...maybe it lacks refinement and it's honestly (no offense) childish, but it's logical for the most part.
now, remind me again, is this an esl class or are you still learning english? there's ABSOLUTELY no irony or sarcasm intended, but if you are learning english, then the style flaws would be perfectly understandable.

the essay would be better if I used short-sentences.. (Subject- verb- the rest of sentence.

for your essay, yes. You have some comma splice mistakes such as

understanding collocation, my English teacher, Dr. Sarah Smith, did not explain enough the combination of words together

you've got this new subject, my English teacher, so you can't separate it with a comma. It's gotta be a semi-colon or period before that.

actually, it would be better if you said "understanding the concept of collocation", i'd see where the coherence part MIGHT come into play

the essay contain unnecessary further details especially in examples(exaggerating )

exaggerating...no. but it does highlight what i was talking about earlier on the impression factors. Teachers don't like students judging them, so they'd think that everything you wrote about it is unnecessary

I won't again ask revising any teacher who, consciously or unconsciously, makes the students feel low

not sure what you mean here. won't ask revision from any teacher?

but i definitely agree with you on the part that teachers, in any subject as a matter of fact, should instill love of that subject in students. unfortunately we don't find those teachers too often. Btw, you're in college right?

oh, btw, if i were to complain about my stats teacher vs my math teacher, I'd basically copy paste your essay. just a comment lol.
yang 2 / 313  
sry, i was trying something, but it failed.
OP abd85 2 / 6  
Many thanks to you

Home / Undergraduate / College teachers are not all the same.