⚠ A Contributor has already posted here! For more answers, please re-open and Urgent this thread!

COLLOQUIAL: What is your favorite word and why? UVa (300 words)

spg070600 /  
Need some opinions and grammar check
"What is your favorite word?"
"What's the best word?"
"What word describes you?"

"Colloquial"

I answer.
You hear the word as it rolls off my tongue, sounding impressive. Only to learn that it is only a characteristic of informal speech. Seems a little less impressive now, or it did to me when I first heard the word. It is almost an oxymoron, in the broadest sense of the term, an elaborate word for such a common definition.

I would not go as far as to say that colloquial is the complete definition of me. However, everything depends on context: what you are writing about and who you are speaking to. If you look back to the second line of, I wrote colloquially. The word should be "what is" not "what's." When you speak to your friends, it is casual, one may use the words kinda, yeah, and don't. I cannot deny that I use these terms every day, for I am colloquial.

Colloquial really is my favorite word. The language bridges the gap between all social classes and nearly every person who resides within them. Everyone in the human race has used this language to speak to others-whether it is face to face, over the phone, or over text-it is everywhere. There is no reason to put down this form because it is "less than." We must remember that it is not slang or jargon, but everyday conversation.

Colloquialism is worth arguing for. I stand behind the idea, the importance common language is to create a comfort within a conversation. If we do not feel comfortable, we cannot truly express how we feel. In a world of stigmas, I believe we should embrace the familiar and the elaborate word that goes along with it.
Sarah, you became too focused on explaining the meaning of the word and its application various contexts rather than using the word to help describe who you are. Why do you consider yourself colloquial? How has this word come to affect your life? When did you first become conscious of the fact that you were the embodiment of the meaning of the term? The word you choose for this essay needs to be able to explain the "who" behind your "person". There is no sense of that in this essay. You just seem to have chosen a word, simply because you had to choose a word. Not because the word is something that is truly relevant to your personality type or character trait. That is why I do not believe that this response and the word that you chose to represent you is accurate nor interesting enough. There is a lack of personal connection between the word and who you are, which is what the reviewer wants to know about through the simple description of your person in one word.

Home / Undergraduate / COLLOQUIAL: What is your favorite word and why? UVa (300 words)