Color Guard: Endeavoring for Perfection/ Perfectly content

Giannamc 1 / -  
Prompt: Describe a place or environment where you are perfectly content. What do you do or experience there, and why is it meaningful to you?

Performing a show on a field has established my confidence and drive for excellence. Standing in front of an audience has been the best and most frightening experiences of my life. When life is difficult, performing relaxes me. I rise above my fears and dive into the personalities of the performance.

As I enter the field for competition, a million and one thoughts are crossing my mind- "What if I drop my rifle?" "What if I trip?" "Oh God, I hope I set my flag right." My train of thought is interrupted by the audience's cheer. When I hear my name called out, my heart flutters and skips a beat because of my nerves. My palms are sweaty, I feel the rush of adrenaline bursting through my veins and my body. It's dizzying. But I must relax, for I am the captain. I must maintain my cool and calm my teammates' nerves. I reassure them that "we have this" and "we are going to do great!" plastered with a smile that can fool anyone. I've done this more times than I can count on my hand. But I must confess that the scary part is that I don't have control over what eventually comes about in our show. The show begins and the adrenaline overcomes my nerves- I'm focused...concentrated... ready. The show is just a blur of mixed melodies and flurries of color. My flag ripples and floats in the air as I move with grace and intention. The music and I become one. I feel intensity building up as the tempo increases. I march, I dance, and I strive for perfection in my performance to the judges. My solo rifle toss is coming up, as I launch it into the air, I watch it intently as it spirals down into my hands. The crowd roars as the snap of my gloves and my rifle meet. I feel their energy and I send it back. As the show nears the end I feel that overwhelming hesitation but I push forward and give my all as I glide through formations and spin my flag with all of the energy I have to give.The flashes of color, the glorious sound of horns, and the beat of the drums all come together in this production of art and sport that we know as marching band. When the show ends, I'm out of breath and my heart is about to burst through my uniform, but I'm happy. The butterflies settle in the pit of my stomach and my smile is beaming. This is the place I call home, and I'm perfectly content.

What amazes me about color guard is that the learning process is accelerated, I can pick up a flag in June and perform an 9 minute show in November. With enough hard work and dedication in the few month, an exhilarating show is presented on the field by the end of the season. Through successes and failures I have learned more and more, I've grown more and more. Take the the shy and awkward freshman in comparison to the outstanding senior leader in my team, I am proud of who I have become. I consider all of these gained attributes very meaningful to me, without them I would not have an interesting personality, really. But I am ready for something more than just High School can offer; I seek a bright future and a better living for me and my family. I am determined to make my mark in this world, one way or another, and lead people by my actions. With the rigor that color guard demands, it has shaped me into a confident and responsible leader among my peers. The demand for excellence, competitiveness and elegance in my performances motivates my desires of exceeding the norm.
Performing a show on a field has established my confidence and drive for excellence

....Hey.... this is pretty confusing for me... I cannot get your idea :(

Standing in front of an audience has been thebest and most frightening experiences of my life.

... well.... the phrase "best and most frightening" isn't really aligned with "perfectly content" . I feel you better rephrase this line.

My train of thought is interrupted by the audience's cheer.

... I like if you now create the scene more actively in the reader's mind;
Then I hear the loud cheer from the audience.

Home / Undergraduate / Color Guard: Endeavoring for Perfection/ Perfectly content