Columbia Supplement, "finding my passion"

djpralex 5 / 10  
Thank you for reading my respond to the "Please tell us what you find most appealing about Columbia and why." It is a first draft and feel free to give as much advice as possible. Thank you once again.

There is a saying in my home that goes, "You think you are good enough? I don't." I hear this line from my father on a weekly basis and I find that the more I hear it, the more I question my capabilities and priorities. I have become increasingly lost in my passions and decreasingly motivated in specific subjects at school. Originally I had goals and aspirations for college. I wanted to be a surgeon; but from all the doubt my father has given me, I began to second guess my perception of academic passion. This all changed, however, when I read about "The Core" of Columbia because I saw new hope in finding my academic passion. I am extremely captivated by the opportunity to engage in such a wide range of intellectual discourse and I have been preoccupied by my imagination of these classes. I am ecstatic at the thought of participating in such diverse classes as the history of art and the formation of civilization. I am not sure where my true academic calling is, but I am sure that Columbia can provide me with the pathway through the Core Curriculum to find my ultimate major. Furthermore, even if my interests are not found within the Core Curriculum, Columbia's countless number of advance research groups and professors all can be my guide to a true passion. I am highly attracted to the diversity Columbia shares in, not only its environment, but in its courses that will surely gather the confusion I have in my aspirations and guide me into the profession matching my potentials.
Alikap 6 / 15  
I am extremely captivated by the opportunity to engage in such a wide range of intellectual discourse and I have been preoccupied by my imagination of these classes.

Maybe make that into two sentences, it's a bit awkward.

I am ecstatic at the thought of participating in such diverse classes as the history of art and the formation of civilization
If those are the names of actual courses offered you want to capitalize them.

I am not sure where my true academic calling is, but I am sure that Columbia can provide me with the pathway through the Core Curriculum to find my ultimate major. Furthermore, even if my interests are not found within the Core Curriculum, Columbia's countless number of advance research groups and professors all can be my guide to a true passion.

I would word it like this:
I am not sure where my true academic calling is, but I am sure that Columbia's Core Curriculum can provide me with the pathway to find my perfect major. Even if I don't discover my interest through the Core Curriculum, Columbia's countless number of advanced research groups and esteemed professors will aid in guiding me to my true passion.

I am highly attracted to the diversity Columbia shares in, not only its environment, but in its courses that will surely gather the confusion I have in my aspirations and guide me into the profession matching my potential

I'm very drawn to the diversity that Columbia shares, not only in its environment and student body, but in its courses; i'm confident that Columbia will help me to make sense of my aspirations and guide me into a profession that matches my potential and my passions.
twinnigan 2 / 8  
i think you may need to edit the beginning. i didn't buy that reading about the core completely changed your mind about school. maybe elaborate or discuss more about the core specifically? a lot of other schools have core curricula too.

look at mine? :)
OP djpralex 5 / 10  
djpralex
thank you alikap for your review. I think it flows a lot better now.

Home / Undergraduate / Columbia Supplement, "finding my passion"