Columbia Supplement - 1. Why Columbia? 2. Why these majors?

angeli6778 11 / 36 16  
These are my Columbia supplements. For #1, please tell me if I am being specific enough about why I like Columbia. Should I mention fewer Columbia activities in order to go into more detail?

1. Please tell us what you value most about Columbia and why.

Vitality. That's what Columbia means to me: an active connection with the world that aligns unerringly with my curiosities and goals.

With the SURF program, I can continue the genome annotation or cancer drug research I did in high school, or take a new direction and study biological bases behind social behaviors. Here, I can put into practice the inquiry skills I learned in Frontiers of Science. The Charles Drew Society and the Columbia Medical Brigade will familiarize me with challenges faced by minority medical students and patients in countries where healthcare is most needed. I will encounter socioeconomic and cultural influences in healthcare policy and learn of the politics behind medicine, which will shape me into a more compassionate doctor.

I want to explore LGBT in Literature Humanities through Aristophanes's commentary on homosexuality and the role of Sappho's sexuality in her poetry. Another renowned classic, The Columbia Spectator, recently published an article on the inclusivity of Columbia's LGBT scene that resonated deeply with me. My race and affinity for science were always rifts between me and the mostly white and arts-centric Gay-Straight Alliance members. I'm excited to join Columbia Queer Association and Proud Colors, but I also want to start a chapter of oSTEM, a national organization that supports LGBT students in STEM. I want to create this safe space so others won't feel torn between those disparate elements of their identity, and to offer to younger kids hope and confidence that I struggled to find alone.

So, as a message in a bottle to myself, to the best self I can be in these four years and beyond, to the lessons I will embody and redistribute, to the cosmopolitan yet specialized Columbia: I would be honored to cultivate your vitality as my own.

2. For applicants to Columbia College...
One essay at one time please
chikomm16 5 / 12 3  
hello, I have read your essay and here is my opinion

(1) Please research about the qualities in term facility and success stories that the Columbia college have to offer you in view of medicine. Explain into-to the values you will drive for attending the college.

Home / Undergraduate / Columbia Supplement - 1. Why Columbia? 2. Why these majors?