Columbia Univ.-"Why I love English class"

cherrybomb94 20 / 44  
Please tell us what your favorite academic class has been and why.

Having been an avid reader my whole life and sporadic writer for part of it, it's only natural that my favorite class is English. When I am truly impacted by a work of literature or writing about something I'm passionate about, my mind opens, and I begin to see myself and the world from all sorts of new perspectives. It is this reflection, this personal involvement, that has caused me to love English class so much. Reading allows me to escape the confines of my own mind and see the world from another person's view for a while. The words of the text come alive, my world becomes intermingled with the world of the novel, and my mind enters a state of total receptivity. Writing, similarly, takes me into a zone of introspection and analysis; a zone where I am forced to evaluate my personal ideas and beliefs or reflect on the words of others. Like reading, I have to actively think in order to accurately express myself through words-a process that is sometimes tedious, but ultimately fulfilling. English class helps me develop these two hobbies of mine-reading and writing-in a way that, for me, has been truly enjoyable. Sure, there have been a few books I didn't enjoy reading and papers I didn't like to write, but in the end, every book and every writing assignment has taught me something. Through English class, I've learned to truly appreciate the diversity of literature and human thought.
ctchrssmnky 2 / 17  
Just wondering, are you going to be an English major? I like your writing here, and I think it's on point. I'm only asking because one of my supplements is about reading and my love for it, but I'm applying to be an Econ/Anthro major, not English.

Sorry for the question. Your writing is excellent!
OP cherrybomb94 20 / 44  
no, I'm actually planning majoring in something more science-related, but I might do English as a minor. Thanks! :)

Home / Undergraduate / Columbia Univ.-"Why I love English class"