Columbia's vision of mobility and the Core Curriculum ; Columbia supp- Why?

keroro 5 / 14 4  
Having a hilariously hard time with this prompt...ahh. Too general?

Columbia's vision of mobility and the Core Curriculum are two parts of why I would like to attend Columbia. There are many subjects I haven't been able to explore deeply in my high school career, and Columbia's Core Curriculum will enable me to step out of my box and explore those things. Art is one such subject that I hope to expand my knowledge of during my time at Columbia. My appreciation of the perfection in Renaissance art currently is only that of the surface. How do I critically analyze at Michelangelo's art? How can I gain a better understanding of his work in the historical and religious contexts of his time? Everyone is different because of their environment; simple words have different meaning when read in a full sentence or paragraph. Thus, everything must be viewed in context. The Core Curriculum and diversity of the campus enriches students by enabling them to put the world into a broader perspective. This is the sort of environment I would like to spend the next four years of my life in; this is the sort of environment that will prepare me for the real world.

For applicants to Columbia College, please tell us what from your current and past experiences (either academic or personal) attracts you specifically to the field or fields of study that you noted in the Application Data section.

House was the show that sparked my interest in biology and medicine. I wanted his ability to analyze the genetic and environmental factors of his patients and ultimately diagnose and treat whatever ailments they were suffering from.

My interest eventually led to my application to the research program at my school and an opportunity to perform research with Dr. J. P. Gergen in his lab at Stony Brook University in the summer between my ninth and tenth grade year. Fruit fly genetics wasn't something I had anticipated would help solidify my passion for biology. The experience showed me how everything is connected; studying the genes of fruit flies- those associated with acute myeloid leukemia in my case- also increased our understanding of similar genes in humans, which could lead to the formation of a new treatment.

Neuroscience became another subject of interest in that, with all the modern technology we have now, our own brains are still a mystery. Why are brain cells unable to regenerate while new skin is made every day? How exactly are our brains able to store and retrieve memories? We still have so much to learn about ourselves, let alone alien planets.

These fields have raised many questions, and my dream is to be able to answer these questions, not only for my own satisfaction, but so I will be able to apply that knowledge to benefit others in the future.

Also, for the meaningful book prompt--

Relationships, reputation, and individuality; most of us adolescents are largely troubled by these concepts as we try to find who we are. The different characters of Nineteen Minutes each have their own vices regarding these three things.

The novel is told from many different perspectives, revolving around the events that happen before a school shooting, and the trial of the shooter that takes place after. What I found most insightful was the perspective of the shooter, Peter, and the girl who was once his best friend, Josie. Peter is ironically the least "corrupted" by popularity and the like, yet is driven to the extreme because of the others who have. Josie abandoned Peter upon entering high school for the "popular crowd." She witnesses her boyfriend, Matt, bully Peter countless times, but turns her eyes from the problem so as to not cross her friend group. The resulting resentment that built up in Peter is eventually released in the form of a Glock and 28 bullets.

The book related the pains of growing up and made me think about the things I value. "If you see something, say something." The words on the flyer posted in about every subway train in New York City. It can apply in any social situation. I had grasped this concept when I read the novel in 2009, but I feel a greater appreciation for the novel after rereading it, and feel that I now truly understand what Picoult wanted to convey. Don't pretend or hope the problem isn't there. Take action.

The character limits is 1500 on all of them--
Sorry for the long post. Any help/critique is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
mayfl0wer 6 / 48  

You refer to house as a show in the first sentence, then a person. Be a bit more specific. Although I understood your message, it definitely halted my reading.

Revolving AROUND.

I had grasped this concept when I read the novel in 2009, but I feel a greater appreciation for the novel after rereading it, and feel that I now truly understand what Picoult wanted to convey.

^ Weird run - on.
OP keroro 5 / 14 4  
Okay, thank you! and gah, dumb mistake
loreliag 1 / 4 1  
I actually think you describe your interests really well in this essay, I can't find any things to critique? Good luck!
OP keroro 5 / 14 4  
Thank you! :)

Home / Undergraduate / Columbia's vision of mobility and the Core Curriculum ; Columbia supp- Why?