Why Columbia? wide scope of human mind

chocana 6 / 18  
Columbia's psychology program is as wide and varied as the scope of human mind itself. That was the first aspect of Columbia that attracted me. Since psychology is quite an uncommon major, I was surprised that Columbia offered such an extensive program. Since its curriculum covers the wide areas of psychology such as experimental methods, perception, cognition, neuroscience, developmental, social, personality, and clinical areas, I was convinced that I would be well prepared for graduate school and for future careers. Such expansive scope will open more opportunities for me, as I will have vast knowledge on the subject. Also, the various research projects spur me to further explore the yet developing study of psychology. The supervised individual research particularly sparked interest for me, because I could apply my creativity in researching psychology. Moreover, the class size in Columbia allows for individualized attention and more comfortable and homely atmosphere. I was afraid of large class size where I would become just another face in the crowd. Yet, in such small sized classes, I would blossom under such ideal condition. Columbia would enable me to further enlighten the vast topic of psychology.

Does it sound too generic?? :'(
haeunchang 1 / 5  
It does sound pretty generic...talking about the psychology program was good, but the list felt too long and i lost interest after cognition. I would try instead talking about why you are passionate about psychology, and put some emotion into it. Why do you want to go to columbia? Make them feel like you mean it.

Talking about class sizes..I wouldn't recommend. The class sizes at Harvard/Yale/etcetc are also small. And you could say the same for psychology departments as well, but if you talked about how specifically Columbia is different from other schools it woudl have more impact.

Otherwise, it was well written. Can't complain about that haha

ah, also, the last sentence pops out of nowhere talking about psychology again. I would either take it out or edit it to connect better with your previous statement
Jomaha23 7 / 29  
It is a good essay. I would say that you may want to expand or specify for what "future careers" does it prepare you? The idea of being "another face in the crowd" (in my opinion) gives an idea that you are afraid of diversity or that others stand out before you? If you make yourself stand out you shouldn't be afraid of big classes. Maybe change that idea a little bit so the University don't see you as scared. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS GIVE THEM A GOOD IDEA OF YOU!
OP chocana 6 / 18  
Thanks you guys! I'll use your advices well.

Home / Undergraduate / Why Columbia? wide scope of human mind