'combining technicalities' - Johns Hopkins supplementary essay (ED)

sunsetblossom 1 / 1  
1. Johns Hopkins offers 50 majors across the schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering. On this application, we ask you to identify one or two that you might like to pursue here. Why did you choose the way you did? If you are undecided, why didn't you choose? (If any past courses or academic experiences influenced your decision, you may include them in your essay.)

Besides my love for math, I also have a passion for art. Just as language is an art form, so is putting numbers and formulas together to create a whole new language. That is why i am interested in computers: because they allow that combination. I hope to fuse tastefulness and technique in any Java software that I create, or fashion beautiful images from complex, but seemingly simple to the untrained eye, computer graphics. In my mind, that means realizing the bigger picture and applying myself as a cog within it.

My Calculus teacher taught me a bit about combining technicalities with the bigger picture. It was not just about the numbers; there is an art to applying the correct calculations onto the correct situation. We would write papers and have discussions regarding the deeper meanings of numbers. For example, there is no possible way to count to infinity. Or is there? Aren't there an infinite number of numbers between "0" and "1"? This was an idea that intrigued me, and these are the little nuances that make math and computers fun. We all work toward a goal of greater knowledge in hopes that one day, we will hit the feel-good epiphany and realize that we actually can count from infinity and back.

Thank you for editing, and I will do my best to help you out too!
Word count: 213
pjw7109 7 / 23  
Thank you for editing mine.

Overall, I think its pretty good!
The ending is clever!

Home / Undergraduate / 'combining technicalities' - Johns Hopkins supplementary essay (ED)