Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Common App- UM Ann Arbor- Supplement Essay- Why Michigan (regular decision)

LarryHoover 4 / 8  
Describe the unique qualities that attract you to the specific undergraduate College or School (including preferred admission and dual degree programs) to which you are applying at the University of Michigan. How would that curriculum support your interests?

My college: college of literature science and the arts

500 word limit
I would really appreciate more of a grammatical proof read then content based critique

With one of the top basketball & football teams in the nation who wouldn't want to go to Ann Arbor for undergraduate school. The wolverine's basketball team is red-hot right now with just one loss to Ohio State blemishing an almost perfect season. I'm guessing you admissions officers hate hearing about how good of a recruiting tool those two college sports behemoths can be, but they are what put (you and) the university in my sights just over 3 years ago- so it's not all bad.

Back then (2009) I was heavily confident that I wanted to go into Math, major in something like applied mathematics or statistical analytics- In my opinion a really unimaginative goal for a high school freshman to have. Researching colleges I found that most of Michigan's mathematics fields were/are in the top ten nationally. I always felt like I was good with numbers and I still am for the most part, but along with my taste, appearance, and voice that dream had changed. Puberty I guess.

As a kid I remember my parents taking me downtown to the Walters art museum. Back then the weekends I spent consumed by the countless canvases around me were some of my favorites. My sophomore year I noticed this dyeing flame, a passion for art, and after expecting to study math, I decided on a whim that the most abstract field, Art History, a field I enjoyed was my new destination. Luckily Michigan again ranked 11th nationally for their art history program.

Now this year I started an internship with a Neurosurgeon. Daily I watch surgeries on the brain and spine, and daily I speak to patients with mental disorders galore. At the same time I started a class on Psychology. This classic combo of educating at school and then applying at my internship got me thinking- Could I have been wrong all along? Could Neuroscience be just the field to go into? Here too Michigan ranked in the top 10. (With the #1 ranking for behavioral neuroscience)

The choice is up to me, but it's a choice I don't want to make yet. Like any good decision I need to sample each educational-flavor. That is why The University of Michigan is so perfect. With the endless academic fields ranked top 10 nationally, and an emphasis on a great state liberal arts education, UM allows me to make the right choice and still achieve my full potential in anyone of these fields. Despite having such a broad range of fields to study from and +900 clubs/groups to join UM is recognized as an excellent University with top notch professors and alumni. At UM I have the chance to travel to Paris with the Helicon undergrad art history group, solve multi-variable equations with professor Dolgachev, research a pathological neurological disorders at the behavioral neuroscience institute , even chant "go Blue!" at the UM v OSU rivalry game. But most importantly I can be confidant that I made the right choice.

Home / Undergraduate / Common App- UM Ann Arbor- Supplement Essay- Why Michigan (regular decision)