Common App - "Childhood's just like a playground. Think about it."

n00bl3t 3 / 30  
Here goes my essay for, well I just pieced this essay together, so don't expect much.

The indentations go to whack...

"Childhood's just like a playground. Think about it."
- Unknown

------ My two-year-old brother, Jedidiah, loves the playground and it, by some means, became my responsibility to take him to the park. But I'm grateful for that because our times at the park, has led to the life realization that life is comparable to a playground. In the park, my brother relied on me for just about everything and I became someone who, for the moment, took my father's place. Spending time with my brother, in the simplicity of the children's playground, gave me an opportunity to glimpse at life and my father in a different light.

------ I was no longer the "child" in the playground; instead I was the "adult," the all-seeing eye and responsible. And so I watched his progression: from the swings, where I had absolute power over him, to the jungle gym, where I was on the "side lines" watching him play. He tried the slide with me at the bottom but soon, he didn't need me to catch his fall. He needed my hands to sturdy him as he walked, but soon he pushed my hands away. As he grew more daring and independent, I felt like I was watching myself. Though I once needed the refuge of someone waiting to catch me, I can now catch my own fall. I once needed that hand to help me balance on the right path in life, but I am now daring without it. From the times when my father had full control, I have reached a point in life where I am trying to find my own place in the world.

------ For many the playground is like our introduction to the world; we learn and mature until we are ready to leave the "playground" and become adults. I see now that, even though life is unpredictable and complex it can also be simple like a children's playground. Life is learning and growing through the different stages. Watching over my brother , I felt emotions that I know my father must have experienced my whole life: the responsibility of keeping a child safe, the joys of watching him make smile, the worries that he'll trip while running, and the sadness that came with the newfound independence. At those times, I understood my father: the calm, understanding parent; the strong, responsible man; the role mode that I continue to learn from. I am finally growing up, ready to leave the playground of life and move on, I know I will be able to find myself.

I don't really pay attention to my grammar, as I type how I think, so correct any grammatical errors if you can please.
This is quite good, actually. Some grammatical changes:

"because our time at the park"

"to glimpse life and my father in a different light."

"I can now break my own fall"

"the joys of watching him smile ,"
OP n00bl3t 3 / 30  
Thank you Sean!

And if anyone else has comments, I would like to know how you felt after reading it, your opinion is unique and I want to know what you think.

Home / Undergraduate / Common App - "Childhood's just like a playground. Think about it."