Common App Diversity-Moving

vickaay 3 / 6  
The prompt is something along the lines of "share an experience that illustrates your diversity..."
Do you guys think I'm on the right track? Leave some feedback! :)

Here it is:

To be completely honest, I am not your typical high school senior. Sure, you could say that I, like the other six hundred and thirty-two students in my class, have work experience and extracurricular activities. You might take one look at my application, strap me on the "College Applicant" conveyor belt, and stamp "Average Student" right across my forehead. In addition to tossing me into that particular category, you could call me the pizza maker, the on-the-side pastry chef, the Chicago native, or even the crowd surfer at the last show in Houston. I have more to offer than good grades and perfect attendance, but a personality that hovers over the fine line of quirky and creative rather than "just plain crazy." However, I have not always been my present self. Who I have become today is a direct result of two significant moves across the country from my hometown of Chicago, Illinois to Boulder, Colorado, and to my current place of residence, Houston, Texas.

I have never been a stranger to the word, "relocation." From the ages of four to eight I had already moved from the sleepy town of St. Charles, Illinois to multiple high rise apartments in Downtown Chicago. Although one might assume that the city is not much of a safe haven for a child, I instantly fell in love with the chaos of the metropolitan area. Taking the "L" to school, or even holding my mother's hand while we walked along State St. to the Harold Washington Public Library were common activities at my young age. My idyllic life was interrupted when my father lost his job at the Chicago Board of Trade. Our new home was now the working class neighborhood of Jefferson Park in a tiny basement apartment. After several difficult years, my father began going to school to finish his college degree and traveling to Colorado and Wyoming on oil rig projects. To keep his job and give my family a future, my dad relocated us to the artsy town of Boulder, Colorado.

I began my new life, trying to adjust to the new faces and scenery. I figured this was the time to try new things, meet new people, and change my life for the better, with a more positive outlook. Years before, if someone told me I would love hiking and snowboarding, I probably would have rolled my eyes and sarcastically added a "Yeah, sure I would..." I began to have plans on the weekends, and became involved in all sorts of activities outside of school. I studied Spanish and worked to become fluent, as well as continuing guitar lessons to improve my skills. It seemed as if this simple relocation had completely transformed my life. After two years, as I was just getting comfortable with my new lifestyle, we were obligated to move once again.

Upon moving to Houston, my positive attitude began to fade. I lost my ambition, and had a hard time fitting in with my new classmates, while struggling to keep up in school. However, in the past year my attitude did a one-eighty. Joining clubs, working part-time, juggling school and creating and playing music have had significant influence on my character.

To say my life has changed is an understatement. Moving around Chicago was difficult enough, but across the country? However, as I look back on it today, I am thankful for all of these changes. I spent two unforgettable years in the Rocky Mountains, and currently I'm enjoying life on the Gulf Coast in Texas. My perspective on life has changed dramatically, including, but not confined to education, politics, music, and society in general. I have become a more open-minded individual, rather than the sheltered person I was in the past. I have learned to adapt to my surroundings, including picking up local slang or street smarts, as well as conversing with some incredibly eccentric and intellectual people. I have realized that intelligence is multifaceted, and learning is not confined to books and classrooms. My multiple interests, creative spirit, and aspiration to succeed have been direct results of these moves, and will greatly contribute to the diverse student body which is essential in the experience of attending a university.
ndog99 2 / 2  
This is a beautifully written essay. It is very unique essay on diversity and you definitely showed lessons that you have learned. I think there is too much emphasis on what happened opposed to what you learned. Maybe you should expand the last paragraph? Just a suggestion, but very well written. Also, the last sentence is a little vague.

Home / Undergraduate / Common App Diversity-Moving