Common App Essay (Fight or Flight) Topic of choice

HC2013 3 / 15 2  
It is rather comforting to know that my very existence is not dependent on whether or not a saber toothed tiger, or some other life threatening danger, should be lurking around the corner as I approach my bus stop. What is incredibly discomforting, on the other hand, is the fact that beyond my bus stop lies something possibly even more frightening, high school. Although our stressors have undergone an immense transformation since the times of survival being an everyday uncertainty, one thing that has stood the test of time is our human response to these seemingly incomparable situations. When we feel vulnerable, whether physically, mentally, or emotionally, our body chooses before our mind has even assessed the situation whether we will stay and fight whatever is causing this stress or flee the situation all together.

The idea of "fight or flight" was originally meant to be taken literally. However, as time has progressed and humans are being presented with less and less situations of actual physical danger, it must be applied a bit more metaphorically. It is probable that we feel regularly threatened either mentally or emotionally by either an outside source, or more dangerously, ourselves. Yes, it is possible to flee a hungry animal, but as our stressors become more internal it becomes almost impossible to take advantage of our second option, flight. We now must depend on our one and only choice, to stay and fight or otherwise succumb to the power of whatever monster society has presented us with. I believe that the way one will react to these monsters can be very accurately predicted by the time someone is of my age, a senior in high school. These first 18 years of life are crucial to determining what type of person we will be. Whether we chose to destroy the sources of our pain, or let them destroy us, these decisions are crucial to the type of person we will be for the rest of our lives.

Each and every struggle, however seemingly difficult at the time, has been a unique blessing in disguise. At a young age, I was taken into the state's custody because of my mother's drug addiction. Placed in a foster home, I learned a lot not only about taking care of myself, but taking care of others. After a few months, and several new homes, I was permanently placed with my great grandmother who has given me everything she can, however sometimes needing me more than I needed her. When my little brother, Austin, was seven he was also taken into state custody after her and my father had both gone to jail, and he was hospitalized for post traumatic stress. Four years later, I am confident that Austin will be a fighter just as I know I have become. People have been taking pity on me since I was a little girl, but it is them I feel sorry for. I am confident that whatever life presents me with, or however uphill the battle, I will chose to fight. It is said that the greatest strength is the power to keep fighting when everyone would understand if you gave up, and that is the strength that my childhood has blessed me with.
Jayashree95 4 / 19  
Its a good essay! It chronicles the ups and downs in your life well.
I have a question. Would you like to use a more technical term than 'stressors'?
Good luck! :-)
blquandt 9 / 23  
I like your topic and how close of a personal connection you have to it, but you really should work that connection more. Most of your essay discusses the general idea of fight-or-flight, you need to change that. Maybe you could describe the concept in the first sentence or two (using it as a hook), but the vast majority of the essay needs to be about you, your experiences, and how they affected you. You have a great story here, you just need to focus on it and elaborate on it more. The content you have in the last paragraph should fill out most of your essay.
Spencedawg 2 / 3  
It seems as if this essay is abou fight or flight, not about you. You don't begin talking about yourself until the final paragraph. When you do talk about yourself, all you say is that you've had a difficult home life and because of that you're a fighter. I don't feel like I've learned anything about you from this, other than your difficult upbringing. Make it more about YOU.

Home / Undergraduate / Common App Essay (Fight or Flight) Topic of choice