Common App Personal Essay-Laziness

MentleGentlemen 1 / -  
Prompt: Topic of your choice
500 word limit
Thanks in advance!

I'm lucky to not have scoliosis. Often, when I sit down at the dinner table, either my mom or dad will chastise me on my posture. Compared to my friend Jeff, though, I have it easy. If he does so much as slouch, his mother, in a manner befitting a drill sergeant, will dole out swift and unmerciful judgment in the form of a wooden spoon to the back and the harsh shout of "Tuo bei!"(Chinese for "Bent back"). My former self simply couldn't find the reason why the position of my legs and back should matter, so long as I got the food into my mouth. This kind of laziness has affected my life profoundly.

I was always of the opinion that one should never do more work than is necessary. It simply made no sense to clean one's room when it was destined to again be dirtied, or to play badminton with both hands outside the pockets when only one was needed to swing the racquet. In middle school, I was lazy as can be. I took all the easy classes and did the bare minimum of work to get by. During my freshman year in high school, I continued this fine tradition.

However, this time, I felt the repercussions of my own laziness. It came not as a sudden realization akin to slamming into brick wall, but rather as the subtle ticklish feeling one gets when standing at just the right angle in the wind. Very slowly, I realized that all the easy work I had so enjoyed in middle school, felt shallow and meaningless in my college preparatory class. The classmates I had lightheartedly joked around with, now offered nothing but blank faces and irrelevant comments. I found then that laziness itself was a challenge: it was in fact incredibly difficult to come to school each day and do astonishingly easy work whilst listening to the ramblings of my classmates.

By the time my sophomore year had come around, I had transferred to all Honors classes, and eventually AP classes. I even negotiated my way into an AP Physics class which required calculus, which at the time I had not taken. Though through these classes I indeed challenged myself academically, I still found that it was easy to come to school and learn new things.

In a year or so, when I again find myself in a classroom, I will make sure to take the easy way out: by not being lazy. I know that when the professor is lecturing, and I think back to the dinner table, I won't be able to help but to straighten my back.
linmark 2 / 328 7  
NIce beginning but the second part falls flat as you don't back up why you now adopt the new school of non-laziness. Give more specifics of why and how you started working more diligently and to what effect/change/transformations? I am not convinced, either you are naturally talented or you actually have taken to hard work whilst pretending to be lazy and laid back. You succeeded to convince me of the latter, now do so for the former!!

Home / Undergraduate / Common App Personal Essay-Laziness