Common App Main Essay ("cultures of plants")

dhruvsharma 3 / 8  
Topic Of My Own

Rays of the early morning sun peep into the little bottle garden on my study. The ferns, flora and foliage gently unfurl their tiny leaves within the glass bowl. Time stands still as I gaze at them, mesmerized by the way they each reach out to one another, in a fraternity of planthood. Ferns, moss, begonias, and crotons bask in the warm sun, different in every way, but held together in a perfect whole. Their beauty is only magnified through the concave glass I view them from.

My bond with these little creatures is unusual, enhanced by the analogies I draw between their lives and mine. My face reflected in the glass fuses me with the bottle garden - I am in it, and it, in turn, is within me.

In the terrarium within me, cultures of plants abound, each making their presence felt. My family is an amalgamation of several species; an exotic mix of Northern and Southern India. Raised in diverse locales, my parents carry with them their unique cultural and regional tastes that are characteristic of the vibrant ecology of India. It is due to my family that I have been exposed to various languages and customs, even cuisines. This has provided me with a copious supply of ideas, thoughts and knowledge that has fertilized and nourished my understanding of the world.

Growing out of the glass bowl, I entered the environment of a boarding school located near Pune, far away from my home in New Delhi. Sahyadri School K.F.I nurtured me further, making me acutely aware of my self and surroundings. My four years here helped me learn to adapt to an entirely new genus of people, also making me self-reliant and independent. Learning here was completely different - while in chemistry class we made laughing gas and gunpowder, I understood contours in geography by studying the forested hills around the school. I distinctly remember one class in biology when we analyzed the scat of a leopard prowling the nearby hills!

Daily interactions in the school community cultivated in me a fascination for understanding the human biosphere of society. At the same time, I was drawn to the beauty of the natural world my school was located in, and the realm of the sciences intrigued me.

My roots lie firmly grounded in rich soil, but my fingertips and mind have an insatiable wanderlust. From treks in the mystic Himalayas, to safaris in Kenya and unearthing ancient secrets in Egypt, my love for travel has taken me places. Each of these trips spurred in me a new passion. Egypt left me with the hunger to explore every ancient civilization, while Kenya instilled the dream of protecting the environment and endangered species. Wherever I go, I attempt to imbibe all that I can possibly absorb, each time adding a new, exhilarating spurt of growth to my interests, learnings and experiences.

***
A gust of wind blows through my bedroom window. My plants revel in the air of new opportunity and promise. I see how they have outgrown the glass bowl, ready for the newer terrains outside. Gently, I scoop them out, one by one, carefully transplanting them in the garden outside. It is time they move on. And it is time I do too. New ecosystems beckon me, new worlds lie before me, and I must answer their call. My roots will remain forever grounded, but my stems will shoot to the sky, knowing no limits. And my glass bowl will forever remain on my window-sill - a cherished memory.
angel101 1 / 16  
very creative, I liked the analogy you used.
Galpster 1 / 2  
very exhillarating. well done.
Rays of the early morning sun peep into the little bottle garden in my study.

My bond with these little creatures is unusual, enhanced by the analogies I draw between their lives and mine. My face reflected in the glass fuses me with the bottle garden - I am in it, and it, in turn, is within me.I love this!

You are an aazing writer, I hope this is for a creative writing class:)

I don't think you'll need it, but good luck in school!

Home / Undergraduate / Common App Main Essay ("cultures of plants")