Common App - Roommate letter; corny jokes, philosophical debates and indie music

dmoney 1 / -  
I couldn't decide which topic to write about for my common app essay so I decided to choose the "Choose your own topic" and write a letter to my future roommate.

Dear Roomie,
Here are a few things you should know before we move in together:

I have never lived with anybody other than my parents and they basically have to love me by default. I apologize for any discomfort my weirdness may cause you in advance.

Unless you come from a wealthy household or plan on getting a job during our freshman year, expect to become my line sister as we pledge Broke Phi Broke, Inc. I recommend that we begin brainstorming how we're going to ration the Ramen Noodles sooner rather than later.

It's probably best you take your showers first because my 45 minute escapades consist of me letting all the hot water run while I try to devise the ultimate question for Life, The Universe, and Everything for 25 minutes, sing the entire discography of Spring Awakening or High School Musical for 10 minutes and wash myself for 5 minutes.

I am quite the perfectionist when it comes to my schoolwork. Don't be surprised if you wake up at 5AM to see me hunched over my laptop typing furiously away, hell-bent on creating a conclusion to an essay that would make Hemingway proud.

I truly value honesty. If I ever leave our dorm looking like a troll doll with the fashion sense of an oompa-loompa, I need you to ever so kindly guide me back inside, and demand that I change immediately. I don't get offended easily, so, while most would consider your gesture rude and/or mean, I'll be sure to repay you with an appreciative "thank you."

If we're walking outside and I abruptly stop to ask a stranger if he or she is okay, do not be alarmed. My impulsive nature and uncanny ability to feel someone else's pain made me do it. This trait will come in handy whenever you have an off day, I promise.

The way to my heart is through corny jokes, philosophical debates and indie music. If you ever feel the need to tell me the one about the pizza, but decide against it because it's too cheesy, have a friendly discussion as to why (or why doesn't) existence precedes essence or whisk me away to a "The Shins" concert then we just might have to become best friends for all eternity.

Eventually yours,
Domonique

My parents think I should end my letter here...I'm not so sure. I want to get this perfect and I'm not sure if I did a good job showing the admissions officers who I am. I spent 5 more minutes free writing and I'd like to know if i should shave my free writes down and insert it in the letter. (I wrote exactly what was in my head so some sentences may be incomplete, this is a free write in the truest of sense)

"I've been told that I don't think straight. I think squiggly. That comment was possibly due to my imagination running wilder than a pack of dogs. You must understand, it would behoove you to not dismiss my wildest musings because in 20 years, I may put my idea to action and I will remember you from my freshman year in college and you will most certaintly not be getting an Edible Arrangement from me when I do make it big. There will be times when I come to you with ideas like to dream out loud while I'm awake since I can never recall my dreams once I wake up. It'll be nice to finally have someone other than myself to agree with me about how it would be a completely awesome idea to eliminate the U.S Dollar for good and use Nutella for all purchasing needs. The billion or so thoughts flitting around in my right hemisphere oriented brain make it easier for me to think outside of the box. I don't think straight. I think squiggly. Moreover, I'd really appreciate it if you' be willing to embark on journeys of Imaginative Madness with me every once in a while. I've spent many an hour in my room just musing to myself and some Some days I'll tell you about how I'm going to invent a hover car that can fly to the moon using ethanol instead of gasoline. Other days, I'll muse about how hope you don't mind rooming with someone that has an imagination wilder than a pack of wolves. I enjoy being incredibly that you don't mind listening to my ranting and raving. Some days I'll dream about inventing a hover car that can fly straight to the moon just using cotton candy for fuel. Other days I'll dream about how the world would be if humans were raised by dinosaurs instead of other humans. My imagination runs wilder than a pack of hungry dogs. The billion or so thoughts flitting around in my right hemisphere oriented brain make it easier for me to think outside of the box. I'd like to share them with you if you'd want to listen.

My biggest hope is that we get through our freshman year making a lasting positive impact on each other and the people around us. I only I want people to I want us to get through our freshman year with our health and sanity. I understand that college life will get pretty stressful sometimes so if you want to be alone in our room so you can get your thoughts together, I will gladly oblige. want to be your home away from home. I you ever need to talk. I'm probably the right person to listen. If you ever need a hand with your Calculus homework, I'm probably the wrong person for the job. If you ever need to"

Thank you all in advance!
petemess95 6 / 9 2  
Dear Roomie,
It's probably best you take your showers first because my 45 minute escapades consist of me letting all the hot water run while I try to devise the ultimate question for Life, The Universe, and Everything for 25 minutes, sing the entire discography of Spring Awakening or High School Musical for 10 minutes and wash myself quickly as the hot water rapidly becomes freezing. (or something along those lines)

While I see no glaring errors, the flow needs to be improved. You must realize that you are not simply listing stuff about you, but you need to talk about, discuss, and EXPLAIN these things. I found it way too choppy.
britttt4 3 / 9 1  
I think ending it where your parents suggested is better. It's more straight and to the point. It's also kinda of a cute ending, "we just might have to become best friends for all eternity." That's something that I really like. But I do agree with petemess95 in that the flow could be improved upon!

Also, small note.. 25 + 10 + 5 doesn't equal 45!

Home / Undergraduate / Common App - Roommate letter; corny jokes, philosophical debates and indie music