Common App- How Sherlock Holmes has Influenced Me

ravenclaw 1 / 6  
Essay Topic - Describe a character in fiction, a historical figure, or a creative work (as in art, music, science, etc.) that has had an influence on you, and explain that influence.

We grow up hearing about brilliant people who are remarkable heroes, works of art that are beyond a doubt amazing, and stories that are simply galvanizing. Eventually we find someone who we personally look up to- someone or something that has inspired us, influenced us, and contributed to us becoming the person we are today. For me, that happens to be Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fictitious and slightly eccentric character, Sherlock Holmes.

As a young child I would watch the show Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century every week like clockwork. As I grew older I eventually began to read the original Sherlock Holmes series by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and loved it. At one point, I even fancied myself a detective, minus the distinctive hat, English accent, and amazing sidekick. This series has contributed to the love of reading and books I have today. It sparked my love of mysteries and has expanded my natural curiosity. From Sherlock Holmes I learned the value of curiosity and how it doesn't always kill the cat, but it can also save it.

With his brilliant power of observation and deduction, Sherlock Holmes could meet a person, observe every detail of their appearance and demeanor, and tell you all about them. He had ability to analyze the details most people wouldn't pay attention to while still considering the big picture. With his power of deduction, he not only learned about people through these details, but also deducted what took place at a particular crime scene. He imparted on me the value of observing and learning from my surroundings.

Sherlock Holmes used many problem solving approaches, and if one approach failed he would simply try another one. He never backed down from a challenge. He is the reason I cultivated the habit of thinking outside the box, because as he is famous for saying, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." The Sherlock Holmes series has led me to acquiring the motto, 'expect the unexpected'.

Lastly, from Sherlock Holmes I have learned that that it's okay to be one of a kind. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and we have situations we can thrive in better than others. The important thing is to use our strengths to our advantage. Sherlock Holmes used his powers of observation and deduction in order to become the most well-known detective and the one and only consultant detective.

_____________________________________________________________
Please feel free to suggest any improvements!! (did i talk about Sherlock Holmes a bit too much and not enough about myself?)
ItsokaytoGaga 15 / 96  
hey ravenclaw!

I think your choice of character is interesting, and you've written a good essay. But I still can't gauge enough of your personality through your writing... Maybe you should talk more about yourself ans incorporate bits about Your personality more.. :)

You write well, just write more about YOU... I think then your essay would stand out. :)
All the best!!

Please give me some feedback on both my essays. I would really appreciate any help! Thanks!
kellbell 2 / 6  
"From Sherlock Holmes I learned the value of curiosity and how it doesn't always kill the cat, but it can also save it."

This sentence is a bit awkward; maybe change the last part to "but instead can save it" or something along those lines?

Also, I'd change the last sentence and make it about you instead of Holmes, because your final paragraph does a good job of relating him to you but then goes back to him when there should instead be a strong sentence about yourselves to sum up the essay. Other than that, I didn't see anything I would change! This is a really nice essay! I don't think you talked too much about Sherlock Holmes; you talked about yourself enough to make it work.
OP ravenclaw 1 / 6  
Thanks for your suggestions!

Taking what both of you said into account, changed my last paragraph to:

Lastly, Sherlock Holmes used his powers of observation and deduction in order to become the most well-known detective and the one and only consultant detective. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and we have situations we can thrive in better than others. The important thing is to use our strengths to our advantage. From Sherlock Holmes I have learned that that it's okay to be one of a kind. I have learned to be comfortable in my own skin as well as to accept my strengths and weakness, but at the same time I have matured because I have learned from my mistakes. For all these reasons, I can proudly say, I am who I am- a vegetarian guitarist, pianist, and saxophonist with a love for reading- and there is no one else like me.

although i'll probably change the last sentence (it seems a bit awkward), i think this revised version of the paragraph helps show more about me
waldo01 6 / 19  
i totally agree with the first comment u should incorporate some things more about u and try to give more examples or a certain quote in sherlock holmes that really changed u
happykid93 2 / 9  
Hey I think that Sherlock Holmes is a really interesting choice...It is quite unique. I agree with one of the post that I can't really see your personality. You should definitely focus more on yourself. Maybe really analyze the impact Sherlock Holmes has on you. Good luck on your essay!

Home / Undergraduate / Common App- How Sherlock Holmes has Influenced Me