common app essay- topic of your choice- "Rock Around the Clock"

ikiz 2 / 2  
prompt: topic of ur choice
669 words (too long?)
my background: Chinese girl
is there any understanding problem? (Since American logic is different from Chinese)
will the topic work?
any suggestion will be very much appreciated!

Rock Around the Clock

About Rock
Rock came into my life when I was in middle school. It was at first an intended interest, then a habit, and now a life style. Smoky eyes and edgy hair did not capture me; they are not the essence of rock anyway. I am just simply in love with the music and the attitude within it.

Predetermined to be unconventional in nature, rock is not evoked by public demand but rather the intrinsic and pristine yearning of the rocker. Rock is by no means mundane or material; it is about keeping oneself despite of adversities, about fighting against the "rules", about emancipation of heart and soul. And that is why I helplessly lose myself in my big pink headphones. They create another world for me, in which I can virtually feel the resplendence of freedom, in which I can pick up the pieces of the original self.

About Us
On the streets, if we see anyone dances, or hops, or revolves to move forward, we must laugh at them- by normalcy, we "walk", we do not "dalk", "halk" or "ralk". That is the pervasive and almost invincible power of conformity. We are like polygons, gradually abrased, and finally become uniform circles.

"First you hate them, then you get used to them. Enough time passed, get so you depend on them. That's institutionalized." This is Red's description of the prison in The Shawshank Redemption. To restore the microcosm, it applies to the society, too. First we fight the rules, then we reluctantly obey them. Enough time passed, we are willing to follow them, even feel shamed to ever defy them.

That is "institutionalized", a battle without smokes, a sad story without tears.

About Me
The English teacher asked us to recite one paragraph in the textbook, but I found this request unreasonable. It was a childish story about a boy named Bill dreamed of aliens; moreover the words and sentences in the text were the most rudimentary ones. So I did not do it, instead, I spent the time reading the English version of George Orwell's 1984.

But unfortunate enough, I was randomly picked to recite in class. I stood up and could not say a word, only to feel my neck and face flushed.

"Why didn't you do the assignment?" the teacher asked, ready to punish the "good student" with no mercy.
I hesitated. Should I keep silent at this moment? Or just tell him what I think? Maybe I was wrong, maybe I should have..."Because I don't think it's useful." These words jumped out of my mouth before I could logically think it through. My voice was trembling.

The class gaped, thinking the "English Queen" is crazy. Maybe I was. I was always a good student and I ought to do what the teacher told me to. How could I refuse to do the assignment yet argue with him like a troublemaker? My rationality could not define what I was doing.

"What do you think is useful then?" Teacher continued, as if to see how more ridiculous I could be.
"Like Shakespeare's poems or other classics." That was truly what I thought of, and I just said it.
The silent gaping was about to burst out abruptly. Obviously the class thought this answer was ridiculous enough. "His judgment cometh and that right soon."

"Copy the paragraph for 20 times. Hand it in tomorrow." Ordered the teacher.
And I obeyed this time.
"Why did you embarrass yourself?" My classmate asked me the other day.
I did know how to answer, but at least I knew I was not perfectly institutionalized yet; at least I knew the spirit of rock has anchored in me.

About Another Rocker
In ancient time, Aristotle's theory that "heavy objects fall faster than lighter ones" ruled for centuries. Galileo was the only "heretic" who stood out to say "no", dropped balls from the Leaning Tower of Pisa and negated the granted "truth".

Was rock born earlier, I guess Galileo would be a rocker, too.
klk - / 1  
quick fyi: there is no proof that Galileo actually dropped things from the leaning tower. he actually rolled spheres with different weights down ramps...

Home / Undergraduate / common app essay- topic of your choice- "Rock Around the Clock"