Common App Transfer Essay -- Why do I want to change?

aGale37 1 / 1 1  
Please provide a statement (appr. 250-500 words) that addresses your reasons for transferring and the objectives you hope to achieve.

My first semesters of college were satisfactory, amusing, frustrating, and irritating - wonderful and terrible, in other words. Three or four more years of such semesters, I imagine, wouldn't be unpleasant. That being written, I still want to move on and to progress, but the reason can only be found at the start of the beginning.

"What did you do in school today?" my mom had asked her son, who had just arrived from school.
"I had my daydreams again."
Eight years ago, I wasn't challenged by my classes, so my mom made a decision. It changed everything, and it changed who I would become. Back then, I was a young, shy fifth grader who was always praised by his teachers.

"Do you remember what Miss [NAME] said?" Miss [NAME] was my third grade teacher: to be honest, I really didn't know, but I'm sure that even if I had, it wouldn't have stopped my mom from finishing. "'If only I had five students like [myName]...'"

A summer break later, I was no longer a fifth grader. I was a sixth grader. The real difference, however, is that I no longer had teachers - real teachers, at least - but some things stayed the same: I was still shy! My mom decided to start homeschooling me with what I later dubbed as "virtual teachers." It was a curriculum that was pre-structured and pre-made and it was perfect for us, because we were just a family of two.

Three years after that, I successfully enrolled into a high school. I started and suffered through several weeks of it's-six-in-the-morning-I-need-coffee. My mom and I were still a family of two; and her work hours coincided with my school hours. She'd go to work when I came home, and I'd wait up for her until she came home; we were both losing sleep, so I made a decision.

"Let's go back to homeschooling."
It was high school now. I couldn't rely on my "teachers," and I couldn't rely on my mom, so learning was a task that fell to me. I managed, and then I finished, and then I started college. I met people, and I heard of their venerable AP classes (and extra college credits). I certainly never took any - I don't think I even knew what they were.

I felt inferior. I had become accustomed to hearing that I was "bright" and "smart," and I had heard tales of the precocious homeschoolers - so far beyond me - that wrote books and completed college classes. The apparent advancement of my college peers undoubtedly added to that feeling. Behind everyone and everything, I still have one goal, which I've held onto since the very start of my educational career.

To reach the top.
formenthos 3 / 20 2  
I'm nto a grammer man, so I'm not concentrating on that. I'm not sayign there are problems, I'm saying, dont take my negligance to say anything as a approval of grammer.

It took me half the essay wondering if you were home-schooled, before you clearly said it. What are 'virtual teachers'. That is too foreign a concept to leave it there...

Idk, this was a tough read. The instruction basically says, why are you transferring? Personally, I've been out of college for awhile, so my essay here revolved around personally deciding why to go back to college (with transferring being the technical means to keep credits)... and you talk a lot about being home schooled, and mention that you were/are in college (its ambigious) and I have no clue why you want to transfer... I don;t think you're meeting the essay requirements.

As an aside, even though the instructions say, list reasons for transfer, and list objectives you want to achieve, thats just a framing. You still need to demonstrate who you are, your qualities, your frame of mind, they "why" of why you should be taken into the accecpting college. Even though this essay says list these things, you still need to advertise yourself.

I think you should make an outline, and at first, list out your reasons for transfering and your objectives you hope to acheive (either in a college sense or a career sense). Then look for persoal experiences, stories to support and reflect on that demonstrate these points. That is just one way of doing it...

real problem is, at the end, i have no idea why you are transferring

Home / Undergraduate / Common App Transfer Essay -- Why do I want to change?