Common application essay computer hacking and ary

alecblumenfeld 5 / 9 1  
Concern ran across my face when Jim, the Director of Technology, requested a private meeting in his office. I was not doing anything intentionally wrong. I was experimenting with snippets of computer code, some of my own and some I found available on the Internet. I was challenging my computer skills, pushing the limits of my understanding of network security. After a couple of days of programming, I found my computer had the ability to access not only the Facebook pages of other students but any supposedly secure page of any user was viewing on the network. I had access to Amazon accounts, ITunes, email sites, and even banking websites by using a couple lines of code. Right away, I sent my findings to the Director of Technology along with my advice on how to patch this astounding security hole in the system.

Showing off like sports

He then asked for the meeting. I didn't know what to expect. We talked extensively about the problem and how I came to my findings. An hour after the meeting started, I was consulting on computer security for the school.

School administrators were not enthused about the security breach, but the response was anything but severe. They briefly and symbolically banned me from specific Internet use-even though I was regularly helping them redesign the security features of the network.

Attending a small prep school definitely has its disadvantages, for example when anyone knew something everyone knew something.
They shot me puzzled and concerned looks. My classmates did not know that I was working with the Director of Technology. I tried to explain that I was trying to help, that I never meant to access anybody's personal information or intrude on privacy. My earnest explanations often resulted in glazed looks and deeper confusion due to the complexity that was involved. People thought I was some black hat menace, lurking in the shadows, but I was really making the network a safer place. This was the scandal of the semester: an advanced computer attack. Some classmates were afraid to use their computers, and it was my fault.

I have been involved with computers for many years, and this powerful experience had an impact like nothing before. It broadened my academic interests to include fields (what fields?) that might help me achieve some insight into the impact technology has on all of us. I joined the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) that focuses on the economic and legal topics involved in information privacy. Being a member of EFF has given me a window into the exciting and problematic cutting edge of technology. My comfort and facility with computers is much more than a hobby. I consistently research the latest news in technology and have taken classes with the Jim, who I like to think as more of a peer than a teacher. I meet with him almost everyday, and I am not as nervous as I was two years ago.

1000 character essay
The exercise of painting is challenging; as it requires me to be genuine and confront my inner workings, a task that I rarely have to attempt in my core curriculum. During my European Classroom experience, I harnessed a skill that allows me to express myself. Painting provides self-reflection as well as a view into society. Artistic expression was once something that I never fully understood but now it is a hobby I enjoy developing. I have no intentions of being a world-renowned artist, but painting is practices that has greatly affected my personal growth and has helped me become a well-rounded and reflective individual.
After a couple of days of programming, I found that my computer had the ability to access not only the Facebook pages of other students, but any supposedly secure page of any user was viewing on the network.

Showing off like sports----(?)

An hour after the meeting started, I was consulting on computer security for the school. ---This is awesome!!

People thought I was some black hat menace, lurking in the shadows, ---this is so great!--- but I was really making the network a safer place.

I meet with him almost every day , and I am not as nervous ...

--------------------------------------------

Artistic expression was once something that I never fully understood, but now it is a hobby I enjoy developing.

I have no intentions of being a world-renowned artist, but painting is a practice that has greatly affected my personal growth and has helped me become a well-rounded and reflective individual.

:)

Home / Undergraduate / Common application essay computer hacking and ary