Commonapp- Picking My Eyebrows

karissa_a16 4 / 94  
Okay, so this is my fourth try at my common app essay because I felt that all of my previous attempts really weren't... me. So here goes. Please be brutally honest!!!!

As I am writing this essay, I am also picking at my eyebrows (note that I say picking, not pulling out; my eyebrows are still intact). My habit may not particularly constructive, but there is something about the feeling of a tiny hair in between my thumb and index finger that I cannot seem to get enough of. It is a rather soothing practice that has gotten me through some stressful times in my life. No matter how many friends and acquaintances come and go, my eyebrows and fingers are always at my disposal. In addition, picking helps me focus on the task at hand. It has definitely helped me get through all nighters, SAT's, and homework, among other things.

As much as I enjoy picking, I feel alone in my odd habit at times. There are no posters that state "If you pick your eyebrows, you are in good company," and my family likes to make fun of me when I am in the middle of a good pick. They cannot comprehend the bliss that my habit brings me, and I do not expect them or anyone else to understand. Nonetheless, I will continue to pick my eyebrows because I do not see any legitimate reason to stop. I have come to embrace this strange quirk of mine despite the naysayers. After all, my habit is one of the few things that is completely and uniquely my own, since, as far as I know, I am the only picker in the world.

If picking has taught me anything, it's that the small, personal things that make each individual unique are the foundation of diversity, not necessarily race or socioeconomic status. When it comes down to it, people are very similar to each other, no matter how much we try to stand out. I consider a group of people to be diverse when each person has distinct peculiarities, ranging from the somewhat normal to the completely strange. I, for example, am an identical twin who knows how to knit, hates beef jerky with a passion, and loves to pick her brows. As much as I appreciate ethnic diversity, I also admire personal variety. Interesting stories transcend societal barriers and make for very exciting friendships and acquaintances. In college, I envision students with radically different backgrounds, oddities, likes, and dislikes coming together and appreciating each other for the little, seemingly insignificant things that make us unique.

If variety be the spice of life, pick on.
Ravenclaw_roar 4 / 38  
Omg this is the most amusing essay I have read! I think it's really interesting and it makes me laugh! I can see how you value each individual and diversity. You remind me of my friend who constantly touches her hair whenever she's thinking lol. She says it makes her think better haha.
sarahbee 1 / 49  
My habit may not be particularly constructive...

Besides that i think your essay is great. i really enjoyed it! and don't think your alone! i sometimes find myself picking at my eyebrows also :D

if you have a chance please take a look at my princeton essay.
jasononwenu 5 / 19  
Haha I love this essay! But what's the prompt?
OP karissa_a16 4 / 94  
@Jasononwenu: A range of academic interests, personal perspectives, and life experiences adds much to the educational mix. Given your personal background, describe an experience that illustrates what you would bring to the diversity in a college community, or an encounter that demonstrated the importance of diversity to you.
MDes 1 / 4  
I like it. It's different with a sense of humor.
gris_pereyra 4 / 25  
hm, i like it you definitely talk about a different type of diversity which makes it unique and good. and good humor, makes it much more entertaining

would you mind reading my intellectual vitality one please? thank you!
cupcakes12 1 / 3  
it was interesting that you connected picking eyebrows to who you are. i like the fact that because it was such a small habit it made such an impact. all in all i really liked it (:
NervousByNature 1 / 6  
HAHAHAH that was hilarious! I started picking my eyebrows to feel the "tiny hair in between my thumb and index finger" as I read your essay. It was really unique and flowed overall! Good job and good luck!
deremifri 9 / 137  
First of all I admire your determination to create something that fits your personality.
Just one thing:
When it comes down to it, people are very similar to each other, no matter how much we try to stand out.
Although this is a strong sentence, I do not see how it ties in with the rest of your essay.
Overall very good.
Would you mind checking out my essay?
I would be really honored.
tehfunkicookie 19 / 50  
Hey! I wanted to reply back to all your responses for my essays! =)

I think this is a very funny and enjoyable story to read!

Your introduction is very catchy :D

But like deremifri, I would have to agree. I think you write a little bit too much on your eyebrow picking and I think you should talk more about the essay prompt and your answer because the paragraph you wrote about how we should stand out sounds a bit generic. Although you tie it in with yourself and how you think your individual personality can stand out, I think you should cut down on the eyebrow picking and make your answer more original (referring to your last paragraph, most important one too!)
theoneandonly 1 / 5  
That was probably the MOST unique and hilarious essay I have read recently. You did an amazing job!!! Keep up the good work, and GOODLUCK :)
matthewmuliadi 1 / 12  
I really like your essay!!! you talked about a personal experience and then you tied on to the big picture of individuality and diversity. really good essay in my opinion.. just try to read through it once or twice more as I think you still have slight grammatical issues along the essay. otherwise, really great job :D best of luck!!

anddd can you please take a look at my cornell essay please? thank you!
Chelo 5 / 13  
Amazing job, really great essay, it is really catchy with a sense of humor.
Musicforleisure 3 / 33  
Wow good job! I like the tone of the essay! and I like your word choice. There is really nothing I would change, but hmm.. I would suggest, if anything, that you tie in the idea of picking your brows to the last paragraph a bit more. I like your conclusion, though =)

I hope this helps!

And please take a look at my "giving back to your country essay"

Thanks!

Home / Undergraduate / Commonapp- Picking My Eyebrows