Communications major - UCLA Transfer Prompt #1

supafit 3 / 7  
During the first two years of life, our brains frenetically scramble to piece together the framework of communication. As muffled sounds become spoken word and kinesthetic gestures become body language, we begin to realize that communication dictates the world, transcending race, social class, and nationality. This simple, yet incredibly complex construction of sounds, words, and expressions is understood by all, yet mastered by few. In order to acquire the expertise on a subject that truly defines the human experience, one must major in Communications -- and that is my intention.

I was fifteen when the jumbled little pieces in my head fell into place. My brain was struggling to assemble a particular fragment of communication -- language -- and it had finally completed the puzzle. Out came my first words: "Je m'appelle Madeline."

As I began to grasp the beginnings of a foreign language, I simultaneously began to comprehend the tenets of communication in which my own language is based upon. French-only lectures allowed me to focus on the systematic symbols of non-verbal communication; classmate-to-classmate dialogues taught me to appreciate the simplicity of interpersonal conversation; and foreign news clips showed me the influence of the media on a global scale. My introductory French class had garnered in me not only a fascination for all things Francophone, but for communication as a whole.

I soon came to the realization that if communication could surpass the language barrier, then surely it could transcend any other facet of society. I immediately began to delve into the other realms of Communications, exploring every crevice of the boundless subject.

I discovered one of Communication's jewels, leadership, when I was elected my high school's National Honor Society president senior year. During my term, I orchestrated a one-day clothes drive that relied on an effective correspondence between my group, a local charity, and the community. My first attempts at organizational communication, which aimed to incite action by methods of local advertising, media support, and volunteerism resulted in a clothing donation of 1,500 pounds. As a result of the event's rousing success, I was given the opportunity to try my hand at journalism, contributing an article about the drive which was ultimately published by the local city newspaper.

A 24-inch spread on the front page of The Signal was all it took to awaken the media mogul within me. I had found Communication's crown jewel, and it was journalism. The following summer, I took an internship with the political campaign of California gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman, where I fostered my ability to create press releases, persuade voters, and of course, rub elbows with notable political figures. After spending time in the political sphere, I returned to the newspaper that initially sparked my interest in media and began my unofficial journalistic career as the web news intern.
radkate 4 / 8  
It is a little dramatic, but I think that you're kind of making it seem like an argumentative essay. I know this is only the intro but we don't really see you in the essay, just an explanation of what communicationsis and how important is. It's very well-written but it seems kind of technical rather than personal. Maybe that's what you're going for though- which if it is, you are doing it well.
Communications to ultimately pursue a career in international media

Okay, so what, specifically do you want to do? What are your top five goals? This is a broad focus, so I think you can probably envision yourself doing lots of great things in the field, and perhaps contributing to relevant research.

I like your way of writing! I see that your enthusiasm is with communication itself as a meaningful phenomenon, but maybe you have not spent enough time seriously imagining the work you might do in the coming years. Get specific!
OP supafit 3 / 7  
Well in a general scope, I just want to make it as a broadcast journalist. In a perfect world, I would work as a travel journalist or for an international news media corporation because I am passionate about European Studies (specifically French) and travel. Overall, I just really really love Communications as a whole. I wouldn't mind taking my major and using it for something other than Journalism i.e. teaching, law, advertising, public relations...anything that truly involves me interacting with others.

I think the Communications as a phenomenon is just my hook, but I'm trying to make it more specific :] Any suggestions how?
to make it as a broadcast journalist.

cool!

Here is an excellent sentence: In a perfect world, I would work as a travel journalist or for an international news media corporation because I am passionate about European Studies (specifically French) and travel.

I suggest putting this sentence in the first paragraph as part of the essay's introduction. Give this sentence with your answer to their question about your intended major, and that way the answer to their question (and what you are all about) will be out in the open throughout the rest of the essay.

Home / Undergraduate / Communications major - UCLA Transfer Prompt #1