'Community service / to better the society' - Short but so fun Georgetown essays

pooroldmama 1 / 2  
Are these too short? Too what? Too meh???

Short Essay
In the space available discuss the significance to you of the school or summer activity in which you have been most involved.

Community service and volunteer work has been a passion of mine since middle school. I go frequently to soup kitchens during breaks and the summer. For two winters I have collected large amounts of coats, backpacks, gloves, and hats to be given away to the homeless. I have also participated in Habitat for Humanity during my sophomore year. Volunteer work is something that I hold up as a privilege and a way of truly giving back. It is not that I enjoy community service because it is hard to see people whose hardships I cannot even understand. However, I believe that it is a duty that is a significant part of my life. I hope to continue my volunteer work and community service through college and beyond. I want to stress that this is not at all an activity for show or to make me look like a better person. I truly believe that giving back is something that has been ingrained in my being that I must do. I see failure as not giving back in the largest way possible. The ultimate goal is to give back in the largest way possible. I would love to eventually be able to start my own non-profit organization that helps people financially or with necessary supplies like food or become an activist for the causes of the people I help. I think that with the privileges of a higher education I can help the community and volunteer my time in much more valuable and crucial ways making change happen on a much larger scale. I of course would look forward to continuing my community service volunteerism at Georgetown.

APPLICANTS TO GEORGETOWN COLLEGE: Please relate your interest in studying at Georgetown University to your goals. How do these thoughts relate to your chosen course of study? (Major in Government Studies)

I believe that Georgetown is the school that will be the best for preparing me and helping me to accomplish my goals. Because of this it is my first choice and favorite school. I have the desire and determination to better the society I live in. I think that Georgetown is the perfect place to legitimize this passion because individuals, similar to myself, who have intellectual curiosity, a passion for learning about the world around them, and the drive to make change, would surround me. I consider myself globally aware, but I would welcome the opportunity of being educated on a deeper level. I think that the education practices at Georgetown, being highly personalized and focused on the development of critical thinking, is a characteristic that I would look forward to experiencing. This kind of learning that represents the Jesuit style is a part of Georgetown's heritage is important to me. Besides the amazing internships that are available because of the proximity to the Capitol, I am very interested in working at the student run supermarket to gain work experience. During my visit I was so intrigued by the thought of attending speeches and classes taught by important political individuals, including Mr. Obama himself. In my short essay, I spoke of my goals of promoting social change on a large scale. I think that with the knowledge and experience gained from pursuing a degree in government this will enable me to meet this goal. If I could imagine the perfect college for me it would not be as good as Georgetown.
KaranGoel - / 4  
Are these too short?

Have you checked with their website for looking for the desired word/character limit? Almost every univ website lists a word limit for the essays.

Your essays are 276 and 261 words long respectively, which, according to me, is acceptable for a short response.
reahyun 1 / 1  
Community service and volunteer work have been passion of mine since middle school

Home / Undergraduate / 'Community service / to better the society' - Short but so fun Georgetown essays