Compassionate & Creative; Common App/ Two words that describe me

shelbyhope 1 / -  
The two words that I believe describe me best are compassionate and creative. Throughout my life, I have always found a way to view challenging situations from unique perspectives. My empathy and consideration make me reliable. By never needing to conform to conventional standards, I have never been restrained by self made boundaries. While staying true to one's self is difficult as a child, individualism reaps many benefits in adulthood.

I was bullied in my childhood because I stood out. Individuals are often cast away in society because people are afraid and ignorant. In elementary school I did not change myself for my peers. Instead, I channeled my creative energy into my sewing, painting, and knitting. I spent countless hours creating projects I would cherish and enjoy to this day. While others were busy with efforts to be popular, I taught myself to knit through online videos on YouTube. I knit my first scarf in 5th grade and wore it daily, even in California heat. To this day, I design and produce clothing for myself and my friends and family. This passion inspired me to take Costume Design and Construction at my high school. In this course, I make costumes for school plays and learn about the history and culture of diverse time eras and their corresponding fashions.

Being unique has helped me be more empathetic towards other people who are different or underrepresented. I appreciate and understand their struggles because I was once in their place. I believe childhood and early teen years are some of the most difficult times for individuals because they do not know how to cope with being different from others. Children and teens are vulnerable to society's pressure to conform, making them victims to easy marketing ploys. With the simple influence of one role model or mentor, a child can learn to accept him or herself and make choices based on their morality and good judgment rather than blindly follow their peers. These feelings were the main influence in my decision to become a camp counselor and work with children on a regular basis. As a counselor, I ensured that I was always available to console campers at any time of the day or night. My open and accepting attitude encouraged even repressed campers to share their stressful situations at camp or at home.

In high school I met my close friends, an eclectic assortment of people who helped me embrace my flaws and accept myself. As I found my niche in high school, the light at the end of the tunnel shone bright with hope. My initial struggles were outweighed by the many benefits of my eccentricity. As a first generation college student, I am excited and fortunate to have opportunities to grow through discovering and learning in new engaging environment.
y0_3mma 19 / 28 6  
I liked your essays, it really points out that you are so passionate about what you do.
I enjoyed that part when you wrote about your scarf and you would wear it even when it was hot.
I once knitted a scarf, but I don't know for what reason, my mom threw it away.
tinkr1 3 / 6 1  
Very nice essay. I like that you made it clear that being different was better than trying to be popular. A 5th grader knitting a scarf instead of crying for Justin Beiber (or whatever boy band) is very impressive. Maybe include a section about why you want to attend college, or what you expect to earn from college. Your future goals after graduation would be something a college admission advisor would want to see as well.

Home / Undergraduate / Compassionate & Creative; Common App/ Two words that describe me