Competing in district finals for robotics; Common App-place you are most content

Jm_96 1 / -  
The music from the speakers blared, and the floor was pulsing. The crowd around me was on their feet, cheering, waiting in anticipation for what was about to happen. This was the moment I had been waiting for - the district finals competition for robotics. The score was tied, one to one, and this was the definitive match; it determined if our six months of hard work actually paid off. The countless days spent in robotics lab, programming, building, and wiring -would it all be worth it? I could see the anxiety in my mentor's face as I sat behind the controls, mirroring his expression. My fingers were frozen on the joystick, ready to pounce at a moment's notice. The announcer introduced the teams, and began initiating the countdown as I took a deep breath: 3, 2, 1, GO! I watched on as the autonomous period started, the portion where programming matters the most. The robot had to perform a pre-determined task for fifteen seconds based solely on computer code. No human interaction was allowed. I watched as our robot steadily creeped up, inhaled a frisbee lying on the ground, raised its shooter, and neatly tossed it into the highest goal, thus earning us a maximum number of points. My mentor, amazed by our success, shouted a reassuring "Yes!"

The robotics lab is one of the most gratifying places in my life. In the lab, my friends lighten up my day, and support even the craziest of my ideas. Their sheer energy and enthusiasm brightens even the dimmest of my days. Everyone is regarded with the utmost respect, and our team often feels like a second family. The atmosphere of the robotics lab is characterized by one of the most lively and productive experiences that I could ever imagine. Sounds, such as the drill press stamping holes, band saw blades cutting lexan, and even the birds singing a melody outside, create a surreal environment that keeps me in tune with myself. Accompanied by the smell of burnt wire, the robotics lab is definitely an unique experience. Annual competitions further add to the incomparable environment of robotics. I love meeting new people, and, through competitions, I am able to meet people of all races and interests. Conversations might not last long in this hard-working and fast-paced environment, but I can always expect to find myself on the end of a witty programming joke, followed by a shared smile. These competitions serve as a safe haven for us geeks; we are able to join forces together and have the greatest times of our lives.

Robotics is my home. The feeling of overwhelming comfort and security I feel when I am programming is unparallelled by anything else in my life. When I walked into it for the first time, I never thought that the spare room we were able to procure for our team in the back of the high school would become my home away from home. However, both my job as programmer and the support of my teammates have allowed me to form my niche, my own world where I only have one purpose and the summation of my entire existence can be chalked up to one word: programming. In that world, I am able to focus on one objective, and forget the troubles that may be plaguing me in the outside world.

The past four
blulub 1 / 3 1  
This is a great topic to write your essay on, but I feel like you could elaborate more on how this experience impacted you. You only talked bout personal impacts in the last two lines, but college admissions officers really like to see how students have changed and gained perspective.

Home / Undergraduate / Competing in district finals for robotics; Common App-place you are most content