I won the competition ; CORNELL SUPP; Engineering Idea

cornell2mit 1 / 2 1  
Tell us about an engineering idea you have, or about your interest in engineering. Describe how your ideas and interests may be realized by-and linked to-specific resources within the College of Engineering. Finally, explain what a Cornell Engineering education will enable you to accomplish.

It was a fine evening at a National Science Fair and I was standing there in front of our Human Resource Development minister - Mr. Kapil Sibbal. The conversation was going as follows:-

Me: A very Good evening, Sir.
Mr. Sibbal: Good evening, Son. What is your model all about?
Me: Sir, the science model which I am going to present before you is an initial phase of the green energy called Piezoelectricity.
Mr. Sibbal: Interesting! How does it work?
Me: Sir, for the demonstration of my science model I would request you to come up on the stage and please help me with the process.

Mr. Sibbal: Oh! Sure, Son. Why not! What will I have to do?
Me: Sir, umm... well...
Mr. Sibbal: Hesitate not son; tell me frankly what will I have to do?
Me: Sir, Well ...may I ask you to dance for me, on this ramp which is my science model!
Mr. Sibbal: Hahahahaha! That would be quite good thing to do considering the occasion we are celebrating.
Me: That would not be a thing to worry... I would be rooting for you!
(As Mr. Sibbal steps on the ramp to dance the light starts glowing inside the compartment.)
Me: Sir that would do.
Mr. Sibbal: Okay, yeah I saw it happen. The moment I stepped on the plank; light inside the compartment started burning.
Me: Sir, what you saw just now was an example of piezoelectricity- electricity generated due to pressure.
Mr. Sibbal: Remarkable! How does it work?
Me: Sir, Let's imagine a crystal and you probably picture balls (atoms) mounted on bars (the bonds that hold them together), a bit like a climbing frame. Now, by crystals, we don't necessarily mean intriguing bits of rock you find in gift shops: a crystal is the scientific name for any solid whose atoms or molecules are arranged in a very orderly way based on endless repetitions of the same basic atomic building block (called the unit cell). So a lump of iron is just as much of a crystal as a piece of quartz. In a crystal, what we have is actually less like a climbing frame (which doesn't necessarily have an orderly, repeating structure) and more like three-dimensional, patterned wallpaper.

In most crystals (such as metals), the unit cell (the basic repeating unit) is symmetrical; in piezoelectric crystals, it isn't. Normally, piezoelectric crystals are electrically neutral: the atoms inside them may not be symmetrically arranged, but their electrical charges are perfectly balanced: a positive charge in one place cancels out a negative charge nearby. However, if you squeeze or stretch a piezoelectric crystal, you deform the structure, pushing some of the atoms closer together or further apart, upsetting the balance of positive and negative, and causing net electrical charges to appear. This effect carries through the whole structure so net positive and negative charges appear on opposite, outer faces of the crystal.

The reverse-piezoelectric effect occurs in the opposite way. Put a voltage across a piezoelectric crystal and you're subjecting the atoms inside it to "electrical pressure." They have to move to rebalance themselves-and that's what causes piezoelectric crystals to deform (slightly change shape) when you put a voltage across them.

Mr. Sibbal: That was really informative and innovative!
Me: Therefore, sir this way we can produce significant amount of electrical energy from very less amount of input as we all surely love to dance!

I won the competition for the comprehensibility and the way I reached out to explain my theory. Three years later after hearing a lot of conversation- political and scientific on determining various ways of producing a green energy source. Last year an idea hit me when I started re-evaluating that the project that I did in my eighth grade can be one of the component of revolutionary search for green energy source. I theorized a layer of piezoelectric material above the asphalt layer of the roadways would harness a lot of energy which goes waste. The moving vehicles on the road would provide sufficient deformation in the material to harness energy capable of lighting the street lights at the very least or may be do something more, given the material chosen is proper. I have done a lot of research on which material would be best to endure for maximum time and have greatest efficiency but with no result. I think these futile attempts are due to lack of technical knowledge in the field. Therefore, I want to pursue my higher studies at Cornell where the programs are broad and diverse. I will have the opportunity to be exposed to a broad array of engineering -related areas, giving me wide latitude, and more insight, in choosing my path. At Cornell I will not be funneled into a particular sub-specialty because that's all there is, Cornell has pretty much everything. I think that Cornell's program offers relatively wide latitude for taking electives outside of the College of Engineering. The number of possible areas of interest you can pursue outside of engineering is huge, due to Cornell's diversity of colleges and areas of study generally. There are synergies with offerings of the other colleges that may be valuable. For example, mixing electrical engineering with mechanical engineering, or aerospace. Potential crossover with the myriad areas of mathematics being pursued at several colleges at the university. Physics, in the arts college, with engineering physics, materials science, or electrical engineering. Etc. Therefore engineering from Cornell would provide me with tools to help humanity and earthlings survive the potential danger caused due to rapidly scarcing of natural resources and other adversities. After completing an Engineering degree from Cornell I would start a research and development organization which would broaden further the mankind's knowledge and enhance their domain of thinking with ultimate goal of serving the society for the best. I would accomplish my dream to give something in return of what I have taken from the society.
GREASPI 4 / 8 2  
Your essay's beginning is impressive, as it deals with an event from your life.

and linked to-specific resources within the College of Engineering. Finally, explain what a Cornell Engineering education will enable you to accomplish.

Could you please mention how you are going to pursue further with your idea using the facilities in Cornell? It should boost your chance.
OP cornell2mit 1 / 2 1  
thank you for feedback Ill get you soon after improving it...any other crtics are welcome.

Home / Undergraduate / I won the competition ; CORNELL SUPP; Engineering Idea