'no competition among students' - Swarthmore supplement: 'Why Swarthmore?' essay

kda013 6 / 18  
-Please write a brief statement telling us why you have decided to apply to Swarthmore in particular.

Swarthmore contains everything I seek in a college. First of all, Swarthmore has the ideal size for the community of Swatties who are a group of very sociable people. Because of the respectable faculty and student ratio, each and every Swarthmore students can directly interact with their professors and become friends with others easily even with the ethnical diversity. When I visited the campus during the summer, I felt the sense of togetherness among the students and teachers. The idyllic atmosphere around the campus also matches up with my personality. Numerous clubs and activities created for the students to fit in. Swarthmore encourages students to become active get involved. Just by sharing some conversation with a friendly Junior who was our guide, it was proved that the Swatties are very diligent and outgoing people.

"The smaller, the shrewder." When I think of Swarthmore, this proverb is the very first thing that comes up to my mind. This is a widely known proverb in Korea which is humorous because Koreans believe that the smaller the size of hot pepper, the hotter it is. Despite its modest size, Swarthmore proudly represents one of the "Little Ivies" and is becoming more and more prestigious. I admire how Swarthmore can be both small and huge at the same time; although it is a small college, it provides huge resources for students. Both in and out of campus, students are given literally endless opportunities. One of them, for example, is the cross registration of Bryn Mar, Haverford, and University of Pennsylvania which allows students to take courses which are not available in Swarthmore. Because of this flexibility, students can experience and attain a broad scope of the world as they study in depth of their academic field. This quality of Swarthmore will definitely satisfy my thirst for knowledge and a desire to learn.

Surprisingly, despite the rigorous education, there is no competition among the students. This is probably the best reason why I chose Swarthmore. Rather than a rivalry, there is kinship between students and they care more about sharing what they have with others. Swarthmore, from what I learned, does not calculate students' GPA unless under certain circumstances. This not only promotes healthy relationships among students but also reduces the tensions. I could imagine myself studying without any stress due to the grades in Swarthmore. I believe this is what makes students become more passionate about what they do since there is no pressure or any hindrances.

Moreover, Swarthmore meets one hundred percent of financial needs of admitted students. This financial aid policy proves that Swarthmore considers a student's well-being and it guarantees any support for the student to pursue his or her goals in Swarthmore. In other words, students do not need to worry about the debts until graduation. I am very certain that Swarthmore is the place where my every effort is going to be significant because it is where student inputs are valuable. When I know these for sure, why not choose Swarthmore?

------I feel like i'm lacking something here..
is this essay convincing enough?
is it specific?
am i being clear why i want to get into Swarthmore?
Nice essay! Just a few small things though;

First of all, Swarthmore is the ideal size for the community of...

...and become friends with others easily even with the ethnic diversity.

Numerous clubs and activities have been created for the students to fit in.

Swarthmore encourages students to become active and to get involved.

When I think of Swarthmore, this proverb is the very first thing that comes upto my mind.

Both on and off campus, students are given literally endless opportunities.

Because of this flexibility, students can experience and attain a broad scope of the world as they study in depth of their academic field.

This is probably the biggest reason why I chose Swarthmore.

Moreover, Swarthmore meets one hundred percent of the financial needs of admitted students.
OP kda013 6 / 18  
Thanks, EF_Susan ;]
i'll fix my grammar errors.

But one more question.
overall, is my essay convincing?
Hemin12 3 / 10  
i think yes. I have my friend applying to Swarthmore and I had the opportunity to go through his essay. However, his essay included facts from past, i suppose, something like black civil right movement.. you havent mentioned history and all but i suppose its fine.. well done
Princess Daisy 1 / 12  
You have a great essay with all your facts, but I'd like to suggest you add more things about what makes you and Swathmore a great fit.

For instance, instead of saying "students will not have to worry about the debts till graduation", you could say "I am happy Swarthmore gives me the opportunity to graduate from school without procurring huge debts..."

I think that will make it sound less like you are advertising Swathmore :) Cheers - Hope we get in.
OP kda013 6 / 18  
Hemin12, Princess Daisy

Thanks for the compliments
hopefully i'll fix it and send it today

cheers for you too Princess Daisy
good luck for us all ;]
lilgangwolf 5 / 13  
i like it,
it flows well, im not sure but maybe you can write about how you will contribute to the swarthmore community?
maybe, so its more like, swarthmore is perfect for me like this, and i'm perfect for swarthmore like this.
OP kda013 6 / 18  
I agree, lilgangwolf :)
I should include more of
why i fit in Swarthmore and in what ways

Home / Undergraduate / 'no competition among students' - Swarthmore supplement: 'Why Swarthmore?' essay