'competitive exams in India' - evaluate a significant experience

tanvi3595 3 / 8  
Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.

It has been really a significant period of four years, class 9th onwards till I finalised to pursue the under graduation course in America and now in-process of applying to various universities. The time has been throughout dotted with little achievements and dilemmas. In class IX when I was on threshold of deciding what I had to become, which course to take and inching towards all sorts of academic pressures. Though by then I had already journeyed as an air pilot, astronaut, media, entrepreneur, finance executive and finally to none. But somewhere inside me seeds of commerce were being sown, I was growing-up in the financial capital of India, Mumbai.

Here deep impressions were also being formed about American education system through seniors, class mates, friends & family, and in-general. I gathered that the education system there allows you to explore, judge your strengths and weaknesses and use ones potential to maximum. With whatever assessment I had about self, natural alignment to it was very natural.

I am still terrified of sheer numbers of candidates for all competitive exams in India; here the ratio of college seat to students, is in thousands. Two years of ninth/tenth standards of junior school passed. There was lot of internal thought process going-on, dumping and then again re-evaluating. It became clear to me that I had to take commerce stream in my senior school and further go for college studies to USA after completion of schooling.

As I had decided for four years graduation course from America against the conventional Indian choice of post graduation courses, my parents though very pragmatic were not sure about this decision. I could understand that I shall be only eighteen plus when I actually leave home but migrating to another country was not a child's play. It was a tough call. However I was convinced though went through many sleepless nights and dilemmas, evaluating the decision and preparing self for the un-chartered waters.

With this confidence, in summer vacations after class X, I broached the subject with my parents. As expected, there were emotional outbursts, sheer no-no and so on. But I was not to give-in so easily, as I know I had supportive parents, as seen in my elder sister's turn. Finally I did prevail and what a tremendous feeling of achievement it gave. I found self more confident and wise and really wonder from where all that conviction and assuring talk came at that time from me.

There may be a school of thought propagating inherent risks involved in this decisions but I call them challenges and shall tackle them, if any, as they come along. Thus the last four years of mine have been a great experience, self evolving and worth sharing it with all.
esarcosmos 4 / 10  
That's good but you know they ask for it's effect on you so get that point clear and moreover you have stressed detailing in the starting of the passage but it should be having even depth.

hope it helps
Stanfordhopeful 2 / 6  
*I found self more confident and wise and really wonder where...* Fragment consider revising.
It's a good essay and it is good that you see little things that count as achievements too.

Home / Undergraduate / 'competitive exams in India' - evaluate a significant experience