Computer Game + EECS department + My town, Butterworth - MIT Short answers

chunf 5 / 26  
We know you lead a busy life, full of activities, many of which are required of you. Tell us about something you do for the pleasure of it. (*)(100 words or fewer)

I love playing video games. It is a great satisfaction that allows me to escape from the stressful school life. I enjoy it because it creates a virtual world, a world that needs me. It allows me to be a hero that saves the world and gain people's respects. It also turns my ordinary life into an exciting and interesting journey. Besides, gaming gave me a whole new perspective on things. For example, I used to think war is nothing but two forces competing with weapons. It is through playing war games that I realize about the evil of war.

Although you may not yet know what you want to major in, which department or program at MIT appeals to you and why? (*) (100 words or fewer)

I have always had strong passion in computers and it is my dream to further my study in my passion, so EECS is the department that appeals to me. I am always curious to know how a silicon chip can calculate and process input and somehow creates a virtual world as an output. Besides, I always have ideas for computers, and I wish to make them into reality. It is my belief that in the future humans' lives will be more integrated with computers. Hence, by having the ability to create a better computer, I can contribute to the world.

Describe the world you come from; for example, your family, clubs, school, community, city, or town. How has that world shaped your dreams and aspirations?(*) (200-250 words)

I come from a town, Butterworth, a town where there is no law enforcement and people here have completely lost their mind.

At here, you are free from rules and laws as long as your wallet is full of money. Policemen are glad to accept brides from you. As a result, there are illegal casinos, illegal lottery group and selling of pirate CDs and DVDs all over Butterworth. Worse still, people have got used to it and they think it is nothing wrong about it. I can tell you that even many of my friends' parents involve in these illegal activities and they can have big cars and big houses.

Under this condition, many school boys/girls do not have dreams and aspiration at all. They just want to finish their secondary studies and involve in illegal activities just like their parents. For them, money can be earned so easily and they don't care about the development of the community. Some of my friends even laugh at me when I tell them that I dream is to further my study in my interest. "You are stupid and crazy!" is a typical comment that I will get.

I want to prove that they are wrong. I want to prove that there is no real gain without sacrifice. That's why I want to step out from the town, from the country, and further my studies. One day, I will return and I will show them the importance of dreams.

Press feel free to critique and comment on it, thanks!
maxumus499 3 / 7  
in the video game answer you should talk about the engineering that goes into a game, MIT should like that
OP chunf 5 / 26  
Thanks for the comments!

Home / Undergraduate / Computer Game + EECS department + My town, Butterworth - MIT Short answers