UC Prompt 2 "Computer problems" The lights hummed above as I stared at the jumble of wires

shirley127 3 / 17 1  
Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

The lights hummed above as I stared at the jumble of wires. I couldn't believe I had to work with this mess. Inside the brain of the computer were wires that crisscrossed each other and ended up in opposite corners of the box and parts that looked foreign and bulky. I was simply stunned, but my teacher smiled to reassure me. I trusted her when she said taking apart the inside was not the hard part of the task. My heart pounded against my chest. I would face this task for the next two weeks.

For the next two weeks, I studiously memorized the functions and location of each of the parts. I learned the differences between similar looking cables and how to properly install the motherboard and fan. The information danced inside my head like Calculus. The RAM goes here. The P8 and the P9 connect to the motherboard. Serial ports have female and male connectors. Initially, my head swirled. When I felt I had a stable understanding of the parts, I attempted a virtual simulation. And failed miserably. Nonetheless, I continued to work with the virtual computer until I could only fall asleep after I pictured the computer box closing.

The day of the test finally arrived. The task was daunting: complete the removal and reassembly of the computer within two hours. I looked at the container, took a deep breath, and removed the cover. I carefully unhooked each cable from its accompanying socket, unscrewed each screw, and placed the parts neatly on the table. An empty box laid on the table. The teacher checked my work and nodded, telling me that I could move onto the reconstruction. I was already halfway done with the challenge. The virtual simulation replayed in my head. I smiled.

This first success at such a difficult task fueled my interest in the internal components of the computer. When I finally finished putting the computer back together, I realized how little I actually knew about the object I used everyday. I grew hungry for more knowledge about computers. I finished my education at Digital Connectors and became Cisco certified. I took a class in Computer Programming. Next year, I plan to take a class in Computer Repair. Yet, as the rate of technological advances increases, I can only hope to learn a small percentage of it.

I've always been in charge of technology at my house, but I have never actually gone inside the computers. Learning the parts took a large effort, but I am pleased to say that I can safely check my computer if necessary. However, it is not enough. I plan to learn as much about computers as I can. My goal is to never take my computer to a specialist, unless my computer spontaneously combusts. That would be a problem.
OP shirley127 3 / 17 1  
Please be harsh. I want this to be the best it can be. Thank you in advance.
chow95 - / 24 1  
The day of the test finally arrived. The task was daunting: complete the removal and reassembly of the computer within two hours
should be The day of the test finally arrived. The task was daunting: complete the removal and reassemble of the computer within two hours

If you could help me with my essay, I would appreciate it!
OP shirley127 3 / 17 1  
Do you feel that the essay responds to the prompt?
chow95 - / 24 1  
Yes it does very well.
Yoyomo 1 / 2  
I like how you added that bit of humor at the end!
It totally adds to the way that we see you as a person.
OP shirley127 3 / 17 1  
Is there anything I can add? I revised my essay, and it's only around 400 words. My other essay is also 400 words. Concise is good, but I also heard that they look at the word limit to see how much you can write.

Home / Undergraduate / UC Prompt 2 "Computer problems" The lights hummed above as I stared at the jumble of wires