Why Computer Science? (USC). All you do is sit in your room, type "ifs" and "elses", and compile.

mysteryswaggyp 1 / 1  
I am looking over my supplements for USC, and I was wondering if anybody here had some feedback. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!! :)

*** "Describe your academic interests and how you plan to pursue them at USC. Please feel free to address your first- and second-choice major selections (250 word limit)."

As I am always on my computer, people often ask me: "Why do you like computer science?". All you do is sit in your room, type "ifs" and "elses", and compile. Your eyes get worse, bad sitting posture becomes a habit, and you rarely see sunlight. However, from my perspective, it embodies what I love: challenges and helping others.

When I was younger, I was introduced to sudoku and was instantly hooked. It was such a complex yet fun game because of both the satisfaction from completing it and the motivation to improve from failed runs. I also loved 圍棋(GO) - another strategic game - for the same reason. Achieving my goal of rank 15 was gratifying, but the gratification only came from the hard work the challenge stimulated. I am a person who loves beating challenges because it inspires me to set higher goals for myself.

While I loved completing challenges, I also had a passion for martial arts. As I became more skillful at martial arts, I also progressed as a mentor. I felt the responsibility and learned the importance of helping others as others had helped me grow when I was a mere white belt.

Computer science offers challenges and elements from martial arts that encourage me to constantly improve myself and help others. With USC's unique Computer Science and Business Administration program, I can't help but to look forward to creating more applications with the purpose of both improving my abilities as well as others people's lives.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
This is a good essay, the only thing I would advise you to add here is to discuss one or two ways that you feel you will utilize the skills learned from Comp Sci to help others. - Admissions Advice Online
OP mysteryswaggyp 1 / 1  
Thank you!! I will try to put that in if i can!

Home / Undergraduate / Why Computer Science? (USC). All you do is sit in your room, type "ifs" and "elses", and compile.