computer system + New York travel + Jang Yoengsil - NYU

psh1107 3 / 6  
Please tell us what led you to select both your anticipated academic area(s) of study and the NYU school / college / program or the Abu Dhabi campus. What interests you most about your intended discipline? Mention any extracurricular or non-school-related activities or experiences that demonstrate your interest.

To me, computer system is another universe that contains endless possibilities. As lives on earth starts with microorganisms, infinitesimal bits aggregate into various forms. I appreciate the measureless freedom in the world of CS. Such idea of small details building up something greater fascinates me because I believe that every individual can change the world. Pursuing an education in economics and computer science will lead me to share my knowledge with the society and make a difference.

NYU is 'In and of the City' and 'In and of the World.' What does the concept of a global network university mean to you? How do you think studying in New York City, Abu Dhabi, or one of NYU's global sites would change you as a person and equip you to build cross-cultural relationships at NYU and beyond?

I traveled alone to New York City for the first time in 2008. As I stepped out of the Immigration Museum, I thought about how the city never judged thousands of immigrants but accepted them for who they are. Today's NYC would not exist without their dedications. I have no doubt that the diverse student body and unique culture experiences of NYU will encourage me to find a unity within differences. As the lights of the city inspired people, I will inspire others by sharing such legacy.

If you had the opportunity to bring any person -- past or present, fictional or nonfictional -- to a place that is special to you (your hometown or country, a favorite location, etc), who would you bring and why? Tell us what you would share with that person.

I would like to bring Jang Yoengsil, who was a well-known Korean scientist during the Joseon dynasty, to Thomas Edison's lab in Menlo Park. During that time period of Korea, scientists had been treated with contempt. Having only minor flaw in his experiment, Yoengsil was sentenced in jail for lifetime. Thomas Edison was able to achieve great deeds and fill his lab with great inventions. I want Yoengsil to live up to his dream in where the society appreciates his talents.
kamielaziza 5 / 5  
I think you should further explore yourself, because not too visible in this essay. But overall, good job.
Hello Park, I'm sorry you did not get much help when you first posted. We have been very busy. Thanks for all the help you have given other people! I'll comment now, in case it can still help you:

To me, a computer system is another universe that contains endless possibilities. As lives on earth starts start with microorganisms, infinitesimal bits aggregate into various forms.

I appreciate the measureless freedom in the world of CS. ---awesome sentence.

Such idea of small details building up something greater fascinates me, because

this is very good, too... to find a unity within differences. As the lights of the city inspired inspire people, I will inspire others by sharing such legacy. This is good, but it can be better if you replace it with some words related to CS, not "legacy."

Capitalize: the Joseon Dynasty

I want Yoengsil to live up to his dream in where the society appreciates his talents.

Home / Undergraduate / computer system + New York travel + Jang Yoengsil - NYU