Computers - academic interest: UIUC Application Essay

RoflJeff 1 / 1  
Hello everyone, I'm applying to the University Illinois at Urbana Champaign. Does my essay answer the question I've been asked? I'm not sure if computers have anything to do with academic interests. I also wanted to mention about my interest in psychology but it doesn't seem to fit in with my essay. Should I remove the parts about psychology and can can everyone provide me with some feeback/corrections?

In an essay of 300 words or less please discuss your academic interests and/or professional goals.

For as long as I can remember, I've been very interested in technology, specifically computers. I was exposed to computers at a very early age, back in the days of giant monitors and Windows 95. There is just something about computers that makes me want to get involved with them and one of my goals is to find out what that "something" is. Although I was mainly interested in technology, I recently found another thing that interested me and that was the human mind and human interaction, something in the field of psychology or sociology.

Initially, I was just interested in computers because they had the ability to play games, but as I grew older, I became curious as to how they work. I wanted to take them apart and put them back together. Unfortunately, I never took any of my computers apart in fear of breaking them. My curiosity continued to grow as I learned more. When I find the answer to one question, another question follows, which drives me to want to continue learning. I was unable to take a couple of computer classes in my high school due to scheduling issues but that hasn't hindered my learning. I would often take some of my own time to learn about things through the internet, and the best part of this was that I can learn at my own pace this way.

Psychology and sociology is something that I recently discovered I was interested in. I found out that I really liked to know how the human mind worked, just like how I would like to know how computers work. I'm basically interested in how things work in general. Thus, I would like to pursue a career in either the field of some type of technology or psychology/ sociology.
Editor1010 9 / 33  
I didnt do any editing but I just wanted to tell you that choose one topic to talk about. I was thinking that maybe how hwen you looked at computers you wanted to know what that something was how things worked. And talk about how you feel this way about minds, how do they work, how do they function. Things like that connect them in some way if you want to talk about both :D
OP RoflJeff 1 / 1  
So should I rewrite the essay to talk about how I like to know how things work instead of the basing the essay off computers? Also, just to make sure, talking about computers would be appropriate for this essay, right?
Psychology and sociology is something that--not something, things, plural.
Psychology and sociology are subjects that ...

Okay friend, the thing is, you need to scrap all the cliche about liking to know how things work and instead focus on career goals. Read 5 journal articles about the topics that interest you most in your field. Read professional journal articles. Cite those articles, and shoe them that you are catching up with the literature so that you can jump into the field!

:-)

capitalize Internet.

Home / Undergraduate / Computers - academic interest: UIUC Application Essay